Reporting a Gas Safe registered installer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all - a bit of advice needed. We have just had a new boiler fitted at a house that we rent out in West London.

We have had problems working the timing of the said install in with the plumber as our tennants are Muslim - Dont blame Me for that :) . The family wouldnt allow the installer to be there if the hubby wasnt at home etc, so all install work was done after 5pm.

He completed it apparently, but to satisfy the letting agents, we needed a Gas Safety Certificate.

BG came round to do this cert and turned the gas off as the new flue hasnt been installed correctly. We have tried contacting the installer by phone, several times and we have recorded the date and time each time we called.

We have also emailed the installer 7 times (several with an ecopy of the BG cert). We have also saved these electronically.

We have as yet had no joy contacting him.

Would it be prudent to now call in Gas Safe themselves due to no luck with this installer? Would we have enough evidence to go to them with?

Many thanks all.

AndyGuinness

I would say so - assuming the installer you use was "gas-safe" approved?

They can pressure him into resolving the problem, or have it resolved and charged to him if he is unwilling / incapable.

AFAIK

KME

Zees

Complaining about a gas safe engineer is no difference to making a complaint against me for my electrical work

being Elecsa,NIC, Gas Safe etc allows the consumer to have some amount of protection and one of those is the ability to complain and have it resolved in a proffessional manner

Can ask why didnt you use the letting agents approved gas engineer ???

or at least get a quote from him ????

Make call and they will deal with it

it may just be an over sight by the guy or he has got personal problems at the mo.

Same thing hAppened to a mate of mine. Had new boiler installed and the flu wasent correct. Bg came round and capped the gas off and condemned the boiler. The flu was repaired in ten mins, gas was reconnected and British gas contract was cancelled. Seems they are a PITA

Hi, sorry this is my first mail, just like to ask why the installer did not issue a Gas Safety certificate when then install was completed? Have you checked on the Gassafe register and checked that the installer did look like his card picture, and that it was not someone who had simply borrowed the Gassafe register number,

just ring gas safe, modern boilers are simple to fit and usually the flue is puch fit the only things he can do wrong is to close to something ie: window,door or the 3 degrees is wrong .. either is easy to fix ...

they have a department for this and can be remedied very easily.

lets have a pic of the boiler and see whats wrong with and also lets see the quality of the work .

looking at his id number gives u an idea of the length of time he has been trading ..

30**** is about 3 yrs

40**** is about 2 yrs .

i think we are up to 50,60 **** now

remeber u can be a gas fitter in a matter of weeks and many are taking advntage of this and making a hash of things...i am finding the majority of my work is remedial work on bad installs .. :(

just ring gas safe, modern boilers are simple to fit and usually the flue is puch fit the only things he can do wrong is to close to something ie: window,door or the 3 degrees is wrong .. either is easy to fix ...they have a department for this and can be remedied very easily.

lets have a pic of the boiler and see whats wrong with and also lets see the quality of the work .

looking at his id number gives u an idea of the length of time he has been trading ..

30**** is about 3 yrs

40**** is about 2 yrs .

i think we are up to 50,60 **** now

remeber u can be a gas fitter in a matter of weeks and many are taking advntage of this and making a hash of things...i am finding the majority of my work is remedial work on bad installs .. :(
As above, and as mentioned before this is why we all register to provide full service with total backup.

Its no different than reporting a bad electrical install.

I would contact Gas Safe and give them the full details, under my registration agreement I have a duty of care to provide full backup service and act on any complaint, however trivial, any complaint is then kept on record along with any action taken which is then scrutinised by the assessor at any anual assessment.

Don't delay call them right away.