resistor wattage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to tell from pic as no scale, far away cow wee cow, close cow big cow however😀

1 watt resistor is about 11mm long

1/2 watt resistor is about 8mm long

Whew.  Little more context here guys

What/where was this ?

Did this component fail in service  ? 
Was it intended to fuse or fail in a fault condition ? 
what current is it carrying at what frequency ?

if it was a fusible safety resistor for example (often seen in TVs and power supplies)  the advice so far is a bit like

‘ a 3A fuse blew !  

Stuff a 13 in if it fits then.

Or a wood screw -they never blow 

ps it could also be a 47uH choke (inductor) 

Last edited by a moderator:

What/where was this ?

if it was a fusible safety resistor for example (often seen in TVs and power supplies)  the advice so far is a bit like

‘ a 3A fuse blew !  

5E2D96C0-BA45-4ABE-B2CF-14AA0FD9A0EC.jpeg

What/where was this ?

‘ a 3A fuse blew !  

it's part of the PCB for a Bosch tumble drier which has been working well for 7 years. It failed by degrees, ie it would work for 10 mins then stop until such time as it wouldn't work at all. I believe it's on the 12V control side of the board

IMG_20211103_082706.jpg

it's part of the PCB for a Bosch tumble drier which has been working well for 7 years. It failed by degrees, ie it would work for 10 mins then stop until such time as it wouldn't work at all. I believe it's on the 12V control side of the board

View attachment 11648
I guess a circuit diagram is out of the question but it also appears to have failed in a dramatic fashion.    I’d be using a pin as a probe to see if I could tap into the broken circuit in the hole.    If there’s resistance to either end of more than an ohm or two it’s probably a resistor and replacing with a same size resistor is the safer option anyway ( vs guessing choke and being wrong).   If it’s lower it’s probably a choke (32uH)

in either case the item may be the fuse rather than the problem 

I guess a circuit diagram is out of the question but it also appears to have failed in a dramatic fashion.    I’d be using a pin as a probe to see if I could tap into the broken circuit in the hole.    If there’s resistance to either end of more than an ohm or two it’s probably a resistor and replacing with a same size resistor is the safer option anyway ( vs guessing choke and being wrong).   If it’s lower it’s probably a choke (32uH)

in either case the item may be the fuse rather than the problem 
 brill! thank you. I've changed all the usual cheaper culprits ie sensors for this machine, which left the control board at a mere £240, so I'm quite happy to fit a 16p resistor and see if it works. I suspect it's just died out of old age, it has been getting used quite a lot with the son home for the last year.

brill! thank you. I've changed all the usual cheaper culprits ie sensors for this machine, which left the control board at a mere £240, so I'm quite happy to fit a 16p resistor and see if it works. I suspect it's just died out of old age, it has been getting used quite a lot with the son home for the last year.
Sorry it would be 47uH with those codes if a choke.      Losing the plot here  😂😂😂