retrain at 41 - too late?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I am 41 and thinking of retraining. I have worked for BT for 20 years and have a HNC in electrical/electronic engineering. I am looking at doing a 2 year C&G 2330 evening college course.When I joined BT I thought it was a job for life but now sick of the management attitude, outsourcing of the work overseas and the way the firm is heading.

Realistically, have I left it too late?
Do you mean to change to become Self employed or

As a sub-contractor or

a Maintenance electrician????

The technical bits of Doin courses & passing exams is only one bit...

You have got to decide what you want to do...

how much risk yoy are willing to take on?

I am looking to become self employed doing mainly residential work.

I've had 20 years of working in offices and peoples houses running cables, although telephone/data cables are completely different from electrical cables, there are some similarities. I do know a few electricians who have said they will help me out with some work to start with until I build up my own customer base and reputation.

Hopefully there will be another voluntary redundancy scheme next year which I will apply. I was looking into the short courses but the general impression I get from reading these forums is that it is better to do the C&G 2330 L2 and L3. The only problem is that will take 3 years part time and with a mortgage etc I need to be earning some proper money asap so I will also look at the shorter courses, like the route davetheglitz went down.

I do know that this will not be easy and am prepared for the hard work required to become a good sparky. I am lucky in the respect that I already have a load of tools, cordless drills and a van so the start up costs will be a bit cheaper.

I live in Essex so, once I have finished installing my bathroom and finished decorating the rest of my house, I am willing to offer my services for free as an electricians mate so if anybody is in the area and wants a hand please let me know.

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement,

Graham

Hi again gt67..

just to elaborate on my last post..

now I know a bit more of what you a looking at.......

I am looking to become self employed doing mainly residential work.
Right..

in this case I think age can be a benefit!

If you were looking for employed work your age & lack of direct electrical experience could go against you! :|

But if going self employed.. a more mature approach.. (and you obviously got experience of understanding the importance of smart image.. keeping appointments.. proper set of tools... Health & safety etc..) and the ability to string a cohesive sentence together, so you can discuss exactly what the customers requirements are and they can understand it, is a positive benefit!! ;)

{ Not "well its like a new socket init you need guv!" }

I think that age & experience can be a positive selling point when you intend doing some work in a persons home. :)

Within domestic work there is always jobs need doing..

and with private domestic work I categorise three basic customer types..

a] There are customers who will never call a trades person in.. "DIY BOB" & co.

b] There are those who do a bit, like to help, but know their limitations.. then call someone in!

c] There are customers who wont even change a light bulb or a fuse in a plug.. they need to know they have someone they can call on.

"a" will never want your services.. but "b" & "c" will come back with regular business once you have proved yourself to them!

you just goto make yourself first choice for your local patch!

I've had 20 years of working in offices and peoples houses running cables, although telephone/data cables are completely different from electrical cables, there are some similarities. I do know a few electricians who have said they will help me out with some work to start with until I build up my own customer base and reputation.

Hopefully there will be another voluntary redundancy scheme next year which I will apply. I was looking into the short courses but the general impression I get from reading these forums is that it is better to do the C&G 2330 L2 and L3. The only problem is that will take 3 years part time and with a mortgage etc I need to be earning some proper money asap so I will also look at the shorter courses, like the route davetheglitz went down.

I do know that this will not be easy and am prepared for the hard work required to become a good sparky. I am lucky in the respect that I already have a load of tools, cordless drills and a van so the start up costs will be a bit cheaper.

I live in Essex so, once I have finished installing my bathroom and finished decorating the rest of my house, I am willing to offer my services for free as an electricians mate so if anybody is in the area and wants a hand please let me know.

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement,

Graham
It will be hard work:(, (but rewarding! :D ;) )

I would recommend you get some books about self employment (if you haven't already),

there are key basics you need to grasp whatever trade or service you are providing.. ;)

Such as who's going to be doing your bookkeeping & tax returns etc..

The first few years, building a customer base, will be tough going at times.

I read a statistic that with small business failures.. Most fail within the first 5 years! :(

So if you can get to the 6th year... you are probably doing your basics right! :)

Assuming you can ride the time & the costs.. I think you will walk the C&G electrical certs without breaking into a sweat much!

A lot of the basics is around fundamental electrical science & mathematics..

just got to get your head change gear from 50v/80v DC sort of stuff..to 230v AC! :) ;)

SL:)

Extension see that you are 52 how many years do you think you have left in the trade can you see yourself being able to do it a 65

don't see many tradesman at 60 on site
Stupid as it sounds I'm in better physical condition now than I was 20 years ago when I was flying a desk! I used to have regular back and knee pain - but since crawling around in lofts and using muscles - no problem! I'm sure there are repetitive injuries that electricans get if they are at it from age 16 - but coming into it later can be beneficial. You can't predict - but I could see myself doing this at 65, though it may not be by choice by then though!

Extension see that you are 52 how many years do you think you have left in the trade can you see yourself being able to do it a 65

don't see many tradesman at 60 on site
Well the way business is at the moment.........

Probably Friday at best..

:|

Hi Ext

Seems you're having a hard time at the moment! From your inputs on the forums it would be a big loss to the electrical business!

I'm thinking about going it alone in the next couple of months - what advice would you give on setting up - and how are you going to turn your situation around!

Don't Panic!

Dave

It will be hard work:(, (but rewarding! :D ;) )

I would recommend you get some books about self employment (if you haven't already),

there are key basics you need to grasp whatever trade or service you are providing.. ;)

Such as who's going to be doing your bookkeeping & tax returns etc..

My girlfriend is an accountant so she can do all that - assuming she doesnt charge too much :^O

The first few years, building a customer base, will be tough going at times.

I read a statistic that with small business failures.. Most fail within the first 5 years! :(

So if you can get to the 6th year... you are probably doing your basics right! :)

I have some other ideas and things I am planning on doing as well when the electrical work is slack so hopefully I will always have stuff to do

Assuming you can ride the time & the costs.. I think you will walk the C&G electrical certs without breaking into a sweat much!

Been a while since I have done an exam but I intend to put in the hard work otherwise I will end up on the streets when I get kicked out for not paying my way :_|

I am under no illusions about how hard it will be but hopefully I will be able to make it work. I always seem to work harder when I am doing something enjoy.

The work I do at the moment is ok and I do get out and about quite a bit - its the management attitude and way the firm is going that I dont like so I am trying to do something about it that will benifit me.

Cheers

Graham