Right tools for the job

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
following thread on crimps etc, here some pics from a recent job

problem was sockets not working. very quickly discover missing neutral. live/earth were OK. 20A radial circuit

was told they had put a nail through a cable a few month previously whilst fixing a floorboard down, and they had called someone to repair, and he had replaced a section of cable. so started there. and found this. otherside was replaced into the socket

DSCF3224.jpg

DSCF3227.jpg

DSCF3229.jpg

and the newly finished repair

DSCF3233.jpg

Just shows the level of thought and care that the first guy put into the repair. Didnt take all that long to repair I assume Andy?AndyGuinness
didnt take long

if they hadnt have known about previous repair bodge, would have taken a bit longer to find it

im not complaing about it.

if he had used the proper crimp tool, then chances are it would not have failed.

but then it would still be under the floor, with a single layer of tape over it

I crimp n tape, but properly. I even put a layer of self amalgamating tape on.

There is even some tape specially made to do this, it can even repair pipes(its red carnt remember wot its called)

Based on?
Just experience mate , mechanical fitter by trade. If i had time to use that stuff i have time to repair it properly. Imho off course

actually

it would get you out of doo doo while you arrange the long term solution

Can anyone reassure me that my method of crimping, (insulated crimps with correct tool), then heatshrink sleaving is a valid method of repair or extending cable when space is a premium, i.e. inside a cu?