Risk Assessment Template

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoon Wilby

Reaction score
Hi there, im new to this forum. Im current;ly a first year apprentice and I have been asked to down load and fill in a generic Risk Assessment for the electrical trade. It doesnt have to be site specific but needs to be in detail covering general safey/hazards. I have been on the HSE website and down loaded their 5 steps and a blank template, but what I really need is to see one that has been filled in in proper detail so I get an idea of what I need to be writing. I have no idea what is not enough detail or what is too much ??

Really appreciate any help

Cheers Jon

A risk assessment is for completed for the work you are doing, which will highlight any risks found and what precautions you will take to reduce or eliminate the risks

Bullet point statements;

1) Identification of hazards.

2) Who might be harmed; self? public? other workers?

3) Measures to eliminate or eradicate hazards.(Control of risk)

4) Document and record.

5) Review. (state dates)

Clear punchy writing. No waffle or narrative.

Steps the shock is the HAZARD;

Risk is the probability that it

might take place. ;)

We used to use a template at my old work. I know people say there is no such thing as a template, but if your doing similar work day in day out a template is best.

It identified key areas of risk, as well as extra space for specific risks to that area/job. The key areas were something along the lines of, electric shock, fire, machinery, trip hazzards, chemicals,

We used to use a template at my old work. I know people say there is no such thing as a template, but if your doing similar work day in day out a template is best.It identified key areas of risk, as well as extra space for specific risks to that area/job. The key areas were something along the lines of, electric shock, fire, machinery, trip hazzards, chemicals,
Templates work, no doubt. Some might say that a set of

templates could be too generic, and not "suitable and

sufficient" for a specific activity carried out by the

specified persons.

The common mistakes (among others I am sure) are change

of personnel and carrying out an activity in an area that

is not the same as stated in the initial RA.

Creating a risk assessment template is pretty straight forward as long as you understand what you are trying to achieve. It needs to be kept simple but carry enough information so that it's a useful document and not just a tick in the box to get you a job or in to a scheme.

Task: What is it that you are going to be doing, for example. The use of a step ladder.

Hazard: What are the associatied hazards - there will probably be more than one, for example. Falling from height, being hit by falling tools. Keep in mind these are potential hazards than can effect anyone. You, your employers, your customers, people in the street etc etc..

Risk and severity: This is where you see a lot of forms vary considerably. Some people just combine risk and severity into one section and use a rating of low, medium and high, others use more complex systems of 1 to 5 for risk times by 1 to 5 in severity to give you an overall score (way to much hassle). All you need to do is be aware of the risks and severity and come up with a way of demonstrating that. The simplest system is the one I would go for.

People who could be affected: Straight forward enough. Employees (includes yourself), Contractors, Public (includes customer).

Control measures: What can you do to minimise the risk and severity. For example, ladder training course, appropriate ladders for the tasks, hard hat, second person to support ladder, use of tool belts, not putting tools on rungs, warning signs etc etc....

Residual risk and severity: If all your control measures are in place, how likely are the hazards to occur now and will the severity be the same?

The hardest part is getting your head around what the risks are and what your control measures should be as sometimes there are a lot more than you first think of and often you will only figure them out when one of your workers phones you up and tells you he has a screw driver sticking in his ear.

One thing I hate about other peoples risk assessments is that they are often incomprehensible except to the person who wrote them. These are documents that people need to fully understand. Avoid abbreviations. List BSEN standards on any recommended PPE. I always treat a risk assessment as a work procedure with a vew that if Joe Blow walked in off the street and picked up your assessment - would he understand it and be able to act upon it. Simple test, give it to friend or family member who isnt involved in the industry and see if they can comprehend it.

In regards to writing too little or too much. Too little is potentially dangerous and can put peole at risk by not conveying what you need to convey. Too much can be a pain to read but is much safer - as long as you don't over complicate things and confuse people.

Generally most of our day to day work is the same so a generic risk assessment is all we need and covers it all, but you do have to adapt for each job as you might be say working off a high-rider etc so that’s when we need to amend the generic form to cover the normal day to day stuff.

We tend to write our risk assessments in the order they will be carried out as Stephen above said so list what is to be done and what you need to do and in order that no one gets hurt including others not just the guys doing the job.

Experience helps in the writing of them as well as someone like you who has never written one wouldn’t always know what could go wrong when carry out a job.

Research a task that is going to be the carried out and assess what might go wrong is the essence of a risk assessment

But my end line would be, it’s no good copying a form filled in by someone else as you have not learned anything and you also have not carried out a risk assessment only handed it to someone

Last edited by a moderator:
One should be careful, as there is a lot of confusion between, Risk Asessments, Method Statements & Safe Systems of Work.

They are all valuable, but different documents.