Road tax scam when re-taxing online

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just noticed a scam on my credit card .     It goes back to February  2020  when I taxed my van ,  there a clever confusion thing  which threw me , making me think we had to now pay 0.50p  .  

Can't remember how it went , I'm an idiot anyway .     Just seen in March & April  they have taken £5.99  .   

A warning from others says you keep emailing to cancel but nothing happens.   So just doing it with the credit card provider .  

Look out for  ...CHECK -VEHICLE   GBR GBR          Also    vehicleinformation .uk Check- VehicleGBR   

I do quite a bit of taxing online and this scam has been around for a few years. I have a bookmark on my web-browser for DVLA so I don't get caught out.

I'm no expert Geoff   but yes it is a third party  .   All I can remember from February  is logging in to the DVLA site , thinking it didin't look the same somehow  & a prompt to pay .50pence  ,, I got the impression they were now charging .50p to tax online .     I don't remember paying the .50p  .     

I think I came out of that site  , tried another & taxed the van .  

I'm usually on the ball but  these things are like those magicians who misdirect  audiences for their tricks to work .  

You'll see all the comments if you Google  "vehicleinformation  .UK  GBR "

I just noticed a scam on my credit card .     It goes back to February  2020  when I taxed my van ,  there a clever confusion thing  which threw me , making me think we had to now pay 0.50p  .  

Can't remember how it went , I'm an idiot anyway .     Just seen in March & April  they have taken £5.99  .   

A warning from others says you keep emailing to cancel but nothing happens.   So just doing it with the credit card provider .  

Look out for  ...CHECK -VEHICLE   GBR GBR          Also    vehicleinformation .uk Check- VehicleGBR   

There used to be a similar one that nearly had me two years ago ....paying my Council Tax online as usual  I became suspicious and clicked out .   Took another look to find the genuine Birmingham Council site  further down .  

There used to be a similar one that nearly had me two years ago ....paying my Council Tax online as usual  I became suspicious and clicked out .   Took another look to find the genuine Birmingham Council site  further down .  

Do you not use direct debits for these payments?

There are loads of these scams around the ones that catch a lot of people are the dodgy passport application / renewal websites and the dodgy EHIC card application websites I know a few people who have been caught out by both

Surely all you have to do is enter the website address given on the tax renewal form, DON'T use a search engine to find it, that may take you to a rogue site.

I have never had any problem doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.