Rogue Traders

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StepsI have spoken to corgi about this the technical guy said. Some boilers if you take the cover off it breaks the gas seal. I think thats what he said. He got all technical with me, anyway he did not say it was against the law to take the cover off all boilers. As far as I was concearned that was what Rogue Traders were saying. I have gone on the BBC website and made a complaint. Will have to wait and see what they say.

Batty
I was being a little tongue in cheek,

but yes,

they did say that as soon as you remove the cover you have broken the law.

on thinking about it it could give us a really bad name if a customer sees you removing the cover to connect up/check a fault etc.....

typical BBC tho,,,,

they think they are the law, bit like the nic guy they had on really,

sums them both up, boys school ties and all that.....

I was being a little tongue in cheek,but yes,

they did say that as soon as you remove the cover you have broken the law.

on thinking about it it could give us a really bad name if a customer sees you removing the cover to connect up/check a fault etc.....

typical BBC tho,,,,

they think they are the law, bit like the nic guy they had on really,

sums them both up, boys school ties and all that.....
I don't suppose I will here anything they probably think they are too large a corporation to be liable for causing any trouble for us poor sparks, although we pay there wages

Batty

Just a thought,,,

If we knowingly left an electrical installation with a L-E fault we could get into trouble..

Now that guy put a L-E fault on the installation..... ok the RCD operated the first time it saw the fault, but there is no saying that it will see it the second time (the RCD could have failed!!)......so didn't he contravine the Health And Safety At Work act???

Just a thought,,,If we knowingly left an electrical installation with a L-E fault we could get into trouble..

Now that guy put a L-E fault on the installation..... ok the RCD operated the first time it saw the fault, but there is no saying that it will see it the second time (the RCD could have failed!!)......so didn't he contravine the Health And Safety At Work act???
probably,

but it was under controlled circumstances, bit like college boards i suppose.

wonder if the 'spark' had got a big shock could he have sued them tho????

bet he could.....

and rcd would not opreate on l/e fault as that is the job of the mcb, it operates on earth leakage which is when it travels back through the nautral as used current that is leakage to earth surely

and rcd would not opreate on l/e fault as that is the job of the mcb, it operates on earth leakage which is when it travels back through the nautral as used current that is leakage to earth surely
come on badger wake up me old son:p

excellent reply badger at least you were "getting a life" unlike me with me pipe n slippers:)...must dash(not) strictly is on:_|

excellent reply badger at least you were "getting a life" unlike me with me pipe n slippers:)...must dash(not) strictly is on:_|
yes i rolled in at 4 am :eek: as i went to see a certain someone ;) and we basically spent the night together athen i left her about 1 am as shes from bristol :)

So ? if she was from Wales would you have stayed till 1.30 ?
If she was from Mayfair ;) , he would never have left at all :D

And ........................the Mcb would trip milli secs after an Rcd would on a L-E fault .
..but not if the RCD was double-pole and in front of the mcbs. Or am I splitting hairs? ?:|

well nozzy :^O shes been here all weekendf from sunday afternoon at 1.30 ih and stayed till 2 monday, we even cuddled on the sofa and fell asleep after watching mamma mia :eek:

but now shes left :( :_| till we see each other on sunday again when i drive over there, which cannot arrive quick enough for me. ;)

With regards to the "If the Boiler Cover is removed, the Law has been broken"...

...It's not just the beeb that is at fault, but so too - is the "Corgi Guy" (actually from Corgi) that was there and who stated that it was illegal to remove the cover, only to be repeated by The presenter.

Badger,A MCB is there to disconnect overload faults (e.g. L-N short)

A RCD is there to disconnect earth faults (e.g. L-E or N-E short)
Have to add a little more to that I'm afraid. :(

A mcb will disconnect in the event of overload and short circuit. Hence why they replace fuses that did the same job.

Rcd's disconnect earth faults (a short circuit) but are there to protect the human body from them rather than the installation. (At least the 10mA and 30mA versions.)

StepsI have spoken to corgi about this the technical guy said. Some boilers if you take the cover off it breaks the gas seal. I think thats what he said. He got all technical with me, anyway he did not say it was against the law to take the cover off all boilers. As far as I was concearned that was what Rogue Traders were saying. I have gone on the BBC website and made a complaint. Will have to wait and see what they say.

Batty
Update from Rougue Traders via BBC email received.

The aim of our programme was to demonstrate that only competent and legitimate corgi registered persons can and should undertake work on gas appliances.

It is corgis view that any activity that breaks into the gas supply or the combustion process of a commisioned gas appliance is deemed as gas work within the meaning of the gas safety(installation and use) regulations 1998 and therefore would attract the requirements to be corgi registered.

In the case of the appliance shown in the programme, the outer decorative case also formed the room-seal to the appliance. We do accept that this may not be the case with all types of boiler, as some appliances an inner case which forms an effective seal between and the appliance, however, in this instance the rogue trader featured did break the combustion seal when they removed the outer case, and therefore performed illegal gas work.

I find this hard to believe that the only seal between the boiler fumes and the room is a metal case. The boiler was a valliant and did not look that old I may be wrong but this seems to be bo***oks

Batty