Rogue Traders

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find this hard to believe that the only seal between the boiler fumes and the room is a metal case. The boiler was a valliant and did not look that old I may be wrong but this seems to be bo***oks

Batty
afaik, what the bbc has said is true. some boiler do have cover inside the main cover, others dont. problem being, like the valliant, you need to remove the cover to wire up/add room stats etc

JL is online now. He will clear it up, hopefully.

i also got a reply from bbc about only using nic etc... here's the replay (this turned up on boxing bay)Thank you for your e-mail regarding an episode of 'Rogue Traders' on 3 December 2008.

I realise you feel we should've mentioned other regulating bodies such as Elecsa and NAPIT as well as NICEIC.

We're very keen to point people in the right direction and on this occasion referred to NICEIC. The NICEC is a very well respected body, recommended by the expert used for our programme.

During the programme, we tried to be as helpful as possible and said "someone like" the NICEIC, making it clear there are other regulating bodies.

We also referred to the programme's website for more details of other organisations that give information in getting an electrician.

I appreciate you feelings on this matter and I'd like to assure you that I've registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and their senior management.

It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are circulated and considered across the BBC.

Thank you again for contacting us with your concerns.

sorry little bit late here, as above some fronts are decorative only,

but yes i agree if say your a sparky and go to wire a worscester boiler you have to remve the front cover which is also the combustion seal to you would not be able to do it .

but now manyfacturers put a fly lead to the board for this but never temp up the stat.. :( so you could wire it up without removing the cover.... but how do you know its correct without checking the termination. ???

also remeber the combustion chamber is totally sealed anyway and can not leak in any way on most of the new 1`s now so even if you pull offthe cover there wont be fumes leaking.

its a load of cack, just carry on as normal no one cares anyway. :)

sorry little bit late here, as above some fronts are decorative only,but yes i agree if say your a sparky and go to wire a worscester boiler you have to remve the front cover which is also the combustion seal to you would not be able to do it .

but now manyfacturers put a fly lead to the board for this but never temp up the stat.. :( so you could wire it up without removing the cover.... but how do you know its correct without checking the termination. ???

also remeber the combustion chamber is totally sealed anyway and can not leak in any way on most of the new 1`s now so even if you pull offthe cover there wont be fumes leaking.

its a load of cack, just carry on as normal no one cares anyway. :)
How many boilers need a corgi registered person to take the front cover off only one the one on rogue traders.

;)

Batty

i fit baxi and they dont. i know worscester does. i think the valiant does to .

also remember to that if you wire a boiler and turn it on you are responsible for it.

the only way an electricain should wire a boiler is if the engineer is there too and they should turn it on together then the corgi lad should commision and set up the boiler for the customer while the electricain does all is tests.

but this is the real world i am afraid. :(

i fit baxi and they dont. i know worscester does. i think the valiant does to .also remember to that if you wire a boiler and turn it on you are responsible for it.

the only way an electricain should wire a boiler is if the engineer is there too and they should turn it on together then the corgi lad should commision and set up the boiler for the customer while the electricain does all is tests.

but this is the real world i am afraid. :(
How many corgi lads are part p registered not many I think they probably pay enough to corgi already with out extra cost of another course for the part p.

Batty

there is also the fact that you dont always know which boilers you can take the covers off without being corgi.... until you take it off.

as for the plumber should be there to set up etc.... thats what should happen on paper. in reality, there are loads of times they have commissioned boiler via lead pre-connected and a plug. then i turn up a day or 2 later to wire properly and install room stats etc. now the flex will normally reach to the SFCU... but i still need to remove cover to wire stat

the best thing then on this re taking boilers apart wouldnt it better to put a stat cable into the boiler in the factory that way your cables are accessible without taking the boiler apart :)

but not everyone has a external wired stat... some are wireless and the controller sits inside the panel on the boiler, so you need to remove cover to get at where it will live

there are still some boilers around that you dont even need to remove the main cover to wire, you can just remove the bottom cover over the electrics. they should make them all like that

I think boilers should be wired by electricians. When you see a jumble of wires in a box it usually is done by a plumber or heating engineer and not an electrician. It is up to boiler manufacturers to make it possible to wire them with out taking cover off i.e.leaving flexes that can be connected into an external box. The corgi registered people I know are not part p registered and do not want to be they have enough s..t with corgi as it is. I have seen a lot off bad electrical work done by plumbers as they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Batty