room stats

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
hello chaps,

i'v not done any room stats.

anyway i have been chasing some cables in and disconected the stats to tidy cables up, now i cleverly marked on the wall what cable went where so i could put it back! only to find today that the builder has plasterd over it:(.

any advice? is there a standard? or do i need to look in the boiler?

its 3 core & earth.

thanks

There is no standard as such. Usually you'd say red live, yellow switch and blue neutral.

However, there is no actual standard so you're going to have to check the other end.

thanks lurch, though the cables are Brown/grey/black
Look at the other end then, was going to say if it's new colours then the brown may be live. However there is now no common way of using the black and grey, some use black as neutral but the NIC don;t like this as there could be confusion with new black = live old black = neutral (why change the chuffing colours then) so they say use grey as neutral, but it's not logical. Anyway, I'm in danger of going off on another rant, check the other end. ;)

Look at the other end then, was going to say if it's new colours then the brown may be live. However there is now no common way of using the black and grey, some use black as neutral but the NIC don;t like this as there could be confusion with new black = live old black = neutral (why change the chuffing colours then) so they say use grey as neutral, but it's not logical. Anyway, I'm in danger of going off on another rant, check the other end. ;)
Here's a rant for you Lurch, nothing to do with thread but all the heating mats I've dealt with have blue neutral and black live? :_|

usually switched on 1 and 3 use ur continuity tester to check on the stat..

obviously neuatral and earth,

the last 2 cables across the 1 and 3 .. 50 50 chance of success then test whn the programmer is calling

thanks jl, and welcome back!

do you use black for neutral?

it was 1 and 3 i remember now do the stats have a netral in or is it in 4? and i sheath gray with brown and black with blue.

with the continuity test... if i do a continuity test, would it work with the boiler turned off?

thanks jl, and welcome back!do you use black for neutral?

it was 1 and 3 i remember now do the stats have a netral in or is it in 4? and i sheath gray with brown and black with blue.

with the continuity test... if i do a continuity test, would it work with the boiler turned off?
The newer digital ones don't require a Neutral (Earth either), do they? I am double checking that as I have still to fit one. :(

The newer digital ones don't require a Neutral (Earth either), do they? I am double checking that as I have still to fit one. :(
It depends on the stat. Not many nowadays require an earth but some do require a neutral. Some have battery operated control circuits with a volt free switched output so no neutral required, others require the neutral as they use the 230V to power the control circuit.

i check continuity on the stat before connecting anything to it .

usually 1 and 3 .... i think 1 and 2 works the other way for air con etc ... cooling .

some dont use the earth, i sleeve and terminate or block,

some dont use a neutral again sleeve and add a block,

http://www.jl-heating.co.uk/downloads/y_plan.pdf

here is a schmatic for the y plan ..

http://www.jl-heating.co.uk/downloads

here are a few other helpfull links... i print off each 1 and put it in my testing bag .. you never know wen you will need it . :)