Rubber cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky999

Reaction score
Good evening guys.

Been to a job today and were told a ccu change and replace some old sockets and switches.

Get there i take the ccu off and i see rubber cables in the board :_|

So i tell the owner of the house we will have to re wire the sockets and lights as the sockets are on 1 ring we are dividing the circuit up so upstairs and downstairs same with lights.

He says this is fine.

We get to start the upstairs lights and then :eek: wheres the loft hatch, there isnt one, Question was asked can we make one for u hehe:^O.

His reply after an hour or 2 no u cant.

but obviously we cant leave the rubber in.

So is the best bet for this is trunking?

Unless you can tape new cables to old, and draw `em through?????

However, you would also be unable to clip them!

erm.....If there is no loft hatch, this would suggest that they do not have loft insulation??????

The only other option would be to go on the roof, and take tiles off!!!

What will they do if a bird or rodent gets access, and dies up there!

I`d be doing all I could to convince them that they really should have a hatch.

Failing that, as you suggest m8 - trunk the lot! Look ugly as sin ( and make sure they`re aware of THAT before you proceed.)

You don`t want customer to decide they`re not paying `cos they don`t like the look of the trunking!!!!!

KME

Unless you can tape new cables to old, and draw `em through?????However, you would also be unable to clip them!

erm.....If there is no loft hatch, this would suggest that they do not have loft insulation??????

The only other option would be to go on the roof, and take tiles off!!!

What will they do if a bird or rodent gets access, and dies up there!

I`d be doing all I could to convince them that they really should have a hatch.

Failing that, as you suggest m8 - trunk the lot! Look ugly as sin ( and make sure they`re aware of THAT before you proceed.)

You don`t want customer to decide they`re not paying `cos they don`t like the look of the trunking!!!!!

KME
But who the bloody hell would know if there is no hatch for inspection. ;)

Managed these before by drawing but depends if/how well they are clipped in first place. Personally I would cut a hatch from mid-joist to mid-joist and then patch up after with bit of new board and skim. Going to plaster work and re-decorating anyway.

Yeah well im going to try and draw them in but if not trunking it is.

The majority of Georgian and Victorian houses around here were built with no loft hatch because there was no need to get up there. Insulation had not been invented and there was no electricity. There is usually a cupboard upstairs housing the water tank ( because you could not get in the loft !) and we cut the ceiling out of this.