Safe Zones?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whazza2

Reaction score
Does anyone have a diagram or information on safe zones for running cables?

Im rewiring a house and can get access under the floorboards for the bathroom and one bedroom. However, the house has two steps on the landing to get to the other two bedrooms. I cannot go under the floorboards but could run through the bathroom wall about 300mm up from floor (due to bedroom being on higher level). The exisiting wiring is clipped along the skirting.

Would this be acceptable or is it against the regs?

attachment.php
as above, and a quick diagram i found on the netsafezones.jpg

Does this mean that cables cannot be routed in the 150mm zones?

Dont think im going to be able to drill at angle.

Would it be acceptable to go under bathroom floor and chase approx 200mm up the wall do I can access the other room and put some metal capping on top?

Ok thanks, would you class galvanised metal capping as mechanical protection?

Ok, well I need to chase a cable approx 200mm up from floor in the bathroom to continue the ring to other bedrooms. The upstairs landing has a few steps to access the other bedrooms and there is no access under the floorboards. Therefore, the height of the other bedrooms are higher than bathroom and first bedroom.

What would you suggest? Metal conduit maybe?

whazza 2

If your proposing coming up the bathroom wall 200m from the floor outside of the safe zones,then metal conduit would comply but you would have to effectively earth it also.

a1spark.

So my best bet is to go under bathroom floor and chase up the wall then drill through to bedroom PROVIDED its within 150mm from wall?

Would that be acceptable?

Yep. and rcd protection required unless your chase is greater than 50mm, and even if it is rcd will be required for the socket outlets.

Sometimes its easier to check with other tradesman as the OSG can be misleading.

The OSG page 59 says that cables passing through joist shall be at least 50mm from top or bottom. It shows notches in the joists with measurements but doesnt say much about it. Are notches acceptable for cables then?

Sometimes its easier to check with other tradesman as the OSG can be misleading.The OSG page 59 says that cables passing through joist shall be at least 50mm from top or bottom. It shows notches in the joists with measurements but doesnt say much about it. Are notches acceptable for cables then?
Dont see why not as long as the cables are protected by safe plates etc.

and the integrity of the joist is not compromised ..oh and as long as you get there before the plumbers butcher the joists.....

a1spark

Sometimes its easier to check with other tradesman as the OSG can be misleading.The OSG page 59 says that cables passing through joist shall be at least 50mm from top or bottom. It shows notches in the joists with measurements but doesnt say much about it. Are notches acceptable for cables then?
Asking other tradesmen can be more misleading..

You will ALWAYS need to be able to back up your judgments/decisions with reference to appropriate documentation..

In the event of the brown stuff hitting the rotating air cooling device, saying that another spark told me it was OK is never going to stand up as defence!

1/ Safe zone...

Turn over from your page 59...

On page 60 you have safe zones all listed out with even with a picture.

2/ Page 59

Cables through joists

Above the picture of the joist with the notches is the list of 4 options for passing cables through joists.. 'i' or 'ii' or 'iii' or 'iv'

The little blue numbers in the top right hand corner of page 59 also point you to regulation 522.6.5 which is on page 100 of big red...

From options i and iii we can understand....

option i : Flexible cables best though the hole 50mm from top or bottom

option iii : In earthed metal condut....

Well I don't know about you but its one helluva job trying to bend it down through them gaps between the joists to feed it through the holes....

probably best running the Metal conduit through the notches..

bit like the metal water pipes wot the plumber runs!!!

Thats what the notches is about IMHO! ;)

The joist picture gives some of the dimension limits of said holes or notches as appropriate!

Along with the 5 notes below it!

clear as mud! :C

:|