Safe Zones

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
I presume that if your install method is Clip Direct then safe zones are not as important. I.e at the drops it is mechanically protected but clip direct where the cable is out of reach. Is say the clip direct cable is 200mm from the ceiling not 150mm then I presume that is OK ? 

If the cable is out side the safe zones then additional mechanical protection is required.

Are you asking about running a cable horizontally across a wall?

Yes - 200mm from ceiling but if it needs to be 150mm then it can be moved. 

Sorry I should have clarified. It’s clipped to the garage wall ( where it can be clearly seen) 

Sorry I should have clarified. It’s clipped to the garage wall ( where it can be clearly seen) 

Read 522.6.202....

which relates to zones and starts off:-      "A cable installed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50mm"

i.e.  Safe Zones are for buried cables...

Surface clipped can run wherever you like!!

Guinness

Thanks guys always like to clarify. Another questions in regards to zones - but bathroom ones. 

Question - If a bathroom ceiling is over 2.25m  from the floor then you don’t need to use SELV downlights as it’s outside zones ? 

My Answer- Yes because it the downlights are over 2.25m from the floor then it’s not in a zone. 

Please could you just clarify. 

Question - If a bathroom ceiling is over 2.25m  from the floor then you don’t need to use SELV downlights as it’s outside zones ? 

you can install a 230v light in zone 1 or 2 anyway, no need for SELV.

no idea why some people think all bathroom lighting etc must be SELV because its within zones / bathroom

for some they are very clear, its mostly down to people who dont bother to read them and simply rely on what they have heard down the pub and assume its true

Or because they saw a set of 3 pre-wired 12v  downlights in B&Q described as "Bathroom lights".....

and therefore assume bathroom lights MUST be 12v downlights!!!!

Similar to the 'Sockets must always be a 32A ring', concept.....

Even if its only 2 of them in a shed!

:C

Is there any other trade that has more myths or incorrect advice given.... than the electrical industry??

:popcorn