Shower cubicle grounding

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

internetting.diy

Reaction score
Need some advice,

I have ripped out an old steam shower cubicle in my house. Having purchased a new one as replacement I was expecting to and will be connecting its power cable directly to an isolated fused spur (which is located outside the bathroom) as directed and in the same manner that the old unit had been. A direct swap in other words.

The power cable (with live, neutral and earth) goes to the control box, which then leads to the steam generator. However from the steam generator where the power cable enters/exits there also exits a roughly 1meter long 1.0mm2 ground cable with a crimp ring. There is no mention of it or where the intended grounding point for it should be.

Could someone explain where it ought to be connected? I have been told that also taking it to the fused spur would be the right idea, and by another that this wouldn't be correct but to a copper pipe would be better.
The grounding wire is shorter than the power cable and would not reach the fused spur without me extending it which led me to think that was not the intended connection point.

Appreciate any input.

Need some advice,

I have ripped out an old steam shower cubicle in my house. Having purchased a new one as replacement I was expecting to and will be connecting its power cable directly to an isolated fused spur (which is located outside the bathroom) as directed and in the same manner that the old unit had been. A direct swap in other words.

The power cable (with live, neutral and earth) goes to the control box, which then leads to the steam generator. However from the steam generator where the power cable enters/exits there also exits a roughly 1meter long 1.0mm2 ground cable with a crimp ring. There is no mention of it or where the intended grounding point for it should be.

Could someone explain where it ought to be connected? I have been told that also taking it to the fused spur would be the right idea, and by another that this wouldn't be correct but to a copper pipe would be better.
The grounding wire is shorter than the power cable and would not reach the fused spur without me extending it which led me to think that was not the intended connection point.

Appreciate any input.
I suspect that may be to suite electrical systems in a different country. Is there anything written in the manual?

I suspect that may be to suite electrical systems in a different country. Is there anything written in the man

I suspect that may be to suite electrical systems in a different country. Is there anything written in the manual?
The manual just makes mention to the shower and steam generator needing to be grounded. There is a diagram on the shower control box of all the electrical connections and it shows the ground wire coming out of the generator and ending at the earth symbol. Nothing else

Attachments

• IMG_20230102_105059753.jpg
    IMG_20230102_105059753.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230102_105125138.jpg
    IMG_20230102_105125138.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Looks like classic Chinese shite instructions. I would take an earth to an earth in the supply cable, somehow. If I'm reading that diagram correctly it's LN only to the steamer. I would not be happy with that unless the steamer is double insulated somehow. Other option is it goes to a metal support frame that is itself bonded to earth via the supply cable.

That green wire looks too small to be the protective conductor on a 3kw device.
Also why isn't the voltage marked on the rating plate? Was it marked on the box? I would be looking for reassurance that it wasn't a 220volt machine, which seems common with some imported items.
Is it a personal import or properly marketed in UK? It all looks a bit dodgy to me.

Is this all behind the unit? Have you any pictures of the unit itself where this steam generator is located?
Couple of pictures to clarify the location of it all. The control box is above the generator. Both are linked by two cables, is supposed to be power and the other data to my understanding.

Attachments

• IMG_20230109_165006126.jpg
    IMG_20230109_165006126.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230109_165218447.jpg
    IMG_20230109_165218447.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
That green wire looks too small to be the protective conductor on a 3kw device.
Also why isn't the voltage marked on the rating plate? Was it marked on the box? I would be looking for reassurance that it wasn't a 220volt machine, which seems common with some imported items.
Is it a personal import or properly marketed in UK? It all looks a bit dodgy to me.
Its a Vidalux shower unit. They seem to be the leading or one of the leading companies selling these installations in the UK. Purchased it direct from their website. Good trustpilot ratings which reassured me to an extent. Was not so impressed with the match-up with the instructions though, seen worse I guess. Voltage doesn't appear to be marked down.

Plenty of those and other brands of steam cabinets around. All the ones I have seen are 220 volt and have such an earth wire. It is in addition to the earth lead in the mains cable so in theory it is not required. Just extend it to your fcu. Note that blob on the mains cable is a local RCD, usually 10mA. Do not cut it off. In fact I would replace the FCU with a good quality socket and just plug it in.

I would think, from the pictures, that the earth bond lead goes to the metal framework. What you need to do with it should really be in the installation manual.

Latest posts