Fitting a Cooker Extractor Hood

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to work for a place that made chip shop ranges. They had the one type properly tested for the CE mark, but then just CE marked every product they made. They did not care in the least..

john..
Unfortunately not unusual, but it's a criminal offence to do this.
If more people asked for the DoC and proof of the compliance, such things would happen less.

I sometimes buy things from Aldi or Lidl and very often their instruction manuals, whilst light on useful content, do include compliance details and even name their authorised, (German), signatory. Perhaps this is an area where UK is lax relative to other European countries.

I sometimes buy things from Aldi or Lidl and very often their instruction manuals, whilst light on useful content, do include compliance details and even name their authorised, (German), signatory. Perhaps this is an area where UK is lax relative to other European countries.
In certain aspects we are, yes.

And outside electricians does anyone else look to find a CE mark on electrical goods?
Well, in this case, where the product OBVIOUSLY does not comply, if you went and told the retailer that the thing either was not, or was fraudulently CE marked and that you were going to the HSE and trading standards, i suspect they might just sort any problems out for you.

Maybe not though, as in this day and age, money is everything and rules and laws mean nothing.

john..

its a grey import .
It's actually a personal import.
Whereby the person buying it, for example, from AliExpress direct from Chia directly from a Chinese company, becomes the legal importer and is thus legally responsible to ensure that the product is compliant with all legislation before it is placed in the hands of the end user.
The importer is just that, private individual or not, the buyer is made legally responsible for the product, even if the end-user and the buyer are one and the same.
That's the law, and if anything happens, the burden of proof is reversed, and the buyer/user is guilty by default and must prove their innocence.
Not my rules, but that's how the law is structured, like it or not.
If you buy from one of the global marketplaces, and the goods come from outside the UK/EU then you are legally responsible for what happens to them, safety, under all the relevant legislation, low voltage, machinery, rohs, coshh, etc, etc.
You would be responsible for ensuring that if the product required it, CE/UKCA marking and compilation of the technical file if needed by the law.
The ramifications are significant if things go wrong.
I think this has been mentioned recently here on another topic.