Fitting a Cooker Extractor Hood

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthrobson

Reaction score
Hi folks, I suspect the answer to this might be 'get a proper electrician', but thought I'd check first...

For some unknown reason the people who owned our house before us removed the extractor hood above the cooked, leaving a big hole. The ducting and everything is still there, and there's a two-gang three-pin basic socket. I blthely assumed I could buy an extractor that would fit the hole, stick a plug on the cable, and hey presto. But the instructions have got me confused.

They're a bit all over the place. References are made to plugs, but then on the next page there a strict 'this MUST be connected directly to the mains', and after a wiring diagram for Europe, for the UK says it should be connected to a Double Pole Switched Spur Outlet. It also says it MUST be earthed, and that it is supplied with a three core main cable.

The thing is... It isn't. The cable is two-core, and the metal casing has an earth symbol stamped at one point, so I assume grounds to the casing.

I've actually got a spur outlet (and 3A fuse to replace the 13A fuse it came with - again, the instructions say 3A), and was wondering if I can just replace the three-pin socket (it appears to be a spur) with this; or could I even just put the 3A plug onto the appliance and plug it into the socket (it works)?

Thanks!
Anthony

But lets be perfectly honest, it will work perfectly well and be safe connected to a plug as long as it has a 3A fuse in it.

It might look rubbish if you can see the cable from the extractor to the plug, but that won't make it dangerous.

The important anomaly is whether it needs an earth. Does the earth symbol you mention have a terminal by it?
Alternatively, does it have a double insulated symbol on the rating plate? (Two concentric squares) If it is double insulated then the two core flex is OK. If it isn't then a three core flex with a connected earth is required.
Either way I would be inclined to complain to your supplier about rubbish instructions on a safety matter and request their written clarification. You can push it a bit about the legality of selling it.

The problem comes when manufacturers of white goods etc try and have a instruction manual for too many countries.

Stick the cooker hood on a plug with a 3A fuse.

Job done

The entry below that flex will be for the larger locating cable bush to take a three core cable. The holes by the earthing symbol are for the earth stud, it is clearly produced for different wiring methods which are country specific. I would say you have the wrong one, the fact it is made with or without an earth indicates a suspect appliance/manufacturer.

Yes a very grey area. In this case you could argue the manufacturer believes it not to need an earth as it fitted a 2 core flex in a way that you would not expect the installer to be changing the supplied flex for a 3 core.

What labels are on it, e.g anything saying manufacturer, model number, and ANY rating information whatsoever? Post any pictures.

Oh and where did you buy it? Reputable retailer? ebay?

Put a three core flex and plug on it, then an earth stud/bolt with an eyelet, job done

Attached some photos of the serial number, and from the instruction booklet (which clearly says 3 core, and on the following page has a picture of a plug (although it's a two pin). Candy extractor, bought from Homebase / AO. Sounds like dropping them a line may be in order!

Just to say as well, again, thanks for all of the help and comments here folks.IMG_7942.JPGIMG_7943.JPGIMG_7944.JPG

I would definitely contact the supplier, point out the manual clearly states it should be earthed and shows a 3 core flex, yet the one you have been supplied only has a 2 core flex.

They would not expect the installer to change the flex or engineer an appropriate earth connection.

If I as an electrician had been called to connect that, I would be saying no, it should have a 3 core flex, the manual clearly states it is class 1 and must be earthed.

A competent person could change the flex, but it depends how the connections are made you might need a crimping tool, and you would need a suitable larger cable gland for the 3 core flex, so no you should not have to be doing that sort of alteration just to make a product comply with what it says it should have.

It’s obviously designed for the American market (pic shows American plug)
as well. It looks like they have supplied a US appliance for the UK market

It does carry a CE mark, but looking at the documentation I think it falls short of what is required. I can see no statement on power rating, or double insulation.

Leaflet shows a 2 pin American plug /socket yet earth required . .
Change the flex - Ah sorry warranty invalidated
Only solution 13A plug top in your wall socket. Additional wire from the Plug earth to a 'self tap screw and washers' earthing point on the fan casing
If unsure get an electrician to do it
If you have time on your hands ask Homebase for advice
The purpose of instructions leaflets is at least in part to give the makers legal dept some wriggle room on potential claims but they are occasionally useful . .

I used to work for a place that made chip shop ranges. They had the one type properly tested for the CE mark, but then just CE marked every product they made. They did not care in the least..

john..
And outside electricians does anyone else look to find a CE mark on electrical goods?