Santa Has Dropped A Clanger

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So,

The lad wrote his xmas list as he does each year. 3 Things, 1 being a new laptop so he canplay Minecraft PC edition. He is 9 and although he does a bit of shcool homework on PC he doesn't really have much other need for one at moment so I said to wife, don't waste all his xmas money on a laptop, get him some proper presents and he can use my old laptop for Minecraft. Happy Days

I've been pestered a bit to get Minecraft setup for him on my old laptop so decided to sort it today. Yeah right. It won't chuffing run. Found this on MC site http://hopper.minecraft.net/help/references/intel-4-series-chipsets/

so basically saying the laptop is too old and to buy a new laptop.

As you can imagine this has left me in the right dog house, all my fault, I should have known this.........

Kinda leaves in between a rock and hard place now. Feel we should now get him a new one, but already got some other presents, some of which aren't returnable and they are all wrapped up. if I get him one, then obviously need to spend more on the girl too. money I don't really have to spare right now. Bad Dad. Bad, Bad, Dad :facepalm:

Why not get a family present from Father Christmas.......................a laptop

LOL.....

I've just been out and bought my daughter a new laptop... only after buying her a <£200 one last xmas which is so laggy it's unusable..

Hopefully this one with an i5 5200U processor will last through the rest of her last year of GCSEs to her graduating university.... cross fingers ;)

LOL.....

I've just been out and bought my daughter a new laptop... only after buying her a <£200 one last xmas which is so laggy it's unusable..

Hopefully this one with an i5 5200U processor will last through the rest of her last year of GCSEs to her graduating university.... cross fingers ;)
I wouldn't bother with anything less than an i3 . I5 is good.
Why not get a family present from Father Christmas.......................a laptop
Because the rest of the family already have 1 each.....

Thanks for trying to give ideas though

Canoeboy said:
My Mac Book Pro is 7 years old now, typing this reply on this, 7 years old and still faster than any rubbish windows pc you can buy today, so if you add up the cost of a windows laptop every year, a mac for 7 years is cheaper, missus has a mac book air 2 years old, runs rings round windows laptops, both laptops have never blue screened (white screen on mac) or froze or caused any stress at all.......

I rest my case mlud.......
Is that an i-case to go with the iPhone, iPad, iPod, iWatch Etc 

Canoeboy said:
My Mac Book Pro is 7 years old now, typing this reply on this, 7 years old and still faster than any rubbish windows pc you can buy today, so if you add up the cost of a windows laptop every year, a mac for 7 years is cheaper, missus has a mac book air 2 years old, runs rings round windows laptops, both laptops have never blue screened (white screen on mac) or froze or caused any stress at all.......

have to agree with paddler mines 6 years old, been dropped countless times had milk poured all over it and it's still goin strong!

i5

:D

i've actually been looking at mac mini's for myself to see what all this ishite is all about and t possibly start doing iApps. Even the older ones are too expensive for me to justify the prooce though. They hold their price well and I'm told the older ones are actauly better then new ones and the RAM isn't soldered in, etc.

Maybe one day...........

Canoeboy said:

If you buy the cheapest laptop you can find then your arguments stands, if you spend the same on an Intel/Windows laptop then it doesn't.

If you buy the cheapest laptop you can find then your arguments stands, if you spend the same on an Intel/Windows laptop then it doesn't.
For the kids, get an i3

Mine that I got last year is an 17" Lenonvo z-series i5. Very nice and never had an issue £599

You can't get a decent 2nd hand mac mini for £599

Horses for courses, I've spent money on decent Windows laptops and they have run for years. I've seen Macs on their knees after a couple of years of decent (mis)use.

For the kids, get an i3

Mine that I got last year is an 17" Lenonvo z-series i5. Very nice and never had an issue £599

You can't get a decent 2nd hand mac mini for £599
Mac mini new starts at £399

Has anyone experience of this level of device. Other's have told me the new entry level ones are under powered and not worth bothering with. Maybe those people are just on commission. lol

And because they have soldered RAM , you can't upgrade

Well I don't know what i'd do with it, lol

Probably development work and yes VMWare would probably be part of it.

Don't think I will be investing yet, Wife won't let me with the house moving. Need all the funds we can for that.