Should this trip my breaker?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonisykes

Reaction score
Hi all!

Just moved into a new build, and flipping a light switch on without a bulb in the socket is tripping the lights breaker and the rcd on my fuse board.

I’ve never had this before…usually it’s been fine to not have a bulb in and flip the switch on.

Should I be snagging something to the builder here?

Thanks in advanced,
Jonny

The tripping MCB and RCD definitely suggests that you have fault and that no testing has been carried out and I doubt you have given an Electrical Installation Certificate at handover
So yes you should be getting the builder to fix this pronto and sort the cert out as well

If it really is a new build and you are the first owner, call the building company. It's called "snagging"

While you have their attention, ask for the EIC, Electrical Installation Certificate, for the installation. And for a laugh, ask for the building regulations completion certificate as well.

If it really is a new build and you are the first owner, call the building company. It's called "snagging"

While you have their attention, ask for the EIC, Electrical Installation Certificate, for the installation. And for a laugh, ask for the building regulations completion certificate as well.
Yes exactly. I’m in my snagging period now. So my question is more about if that’s a problem to snag or not.

Yes exactly. I’m in my snagging period now. So my question is more about if that’s a problem to snag or not.
From past experience of buying a new build just over 20 years ago and producing about 4 pages of snagging before moving it pays to get everything however small noted and fixed after moving in I found another 1½ pages and even now I'm finding issues with poor workmanship and material choices
We were given an elec cert at handover. Now I’m worried that it’s not to be trusted.
Redact the names and addresses on the cert and post on here for comment to the skilled eye it can be often seen how good or bad the testing is from the readings given, with new builds it is not unusual to find contractors who batch produce certs using a mix of real and made up readings

From past experience of buying a new build just over 20 years ago and producing about 4 pages of snagging before moving it pays to get everything however small noted and fixed after moving in I found another 1½ pages and even now I'm finding issues with poor workmanship and material choices

Redact the names and addresses on the cert and post on here for comment to the skilled eye it can be often seen how good or bad the testing is from the readings given, with new builds it is not unusual to find contractors who batch produce certs using a mix of real and made up readings
Will do!

They fixed that specific issue today. Apparently a wire was pinched against the backbox which was shorting when no bulb was in.

Still going to proceed with your suggestions

Latest posts