Shower circuit ... isolation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnyboy 68

Reaction score
Hello lads

Had a look at a job today .. lots of bits and pieces... and also... 'can you fit this new shower I've bought'...9.6kw.. 'No probs' I says. Nice new 17th edition CU,two 30mA RCD's, two spare places.. easy cable run ..happy days... (I knew it was all going too well !!) Now the problem.. this guy wasn't having it that it needed isolation.. as his old 'sparky' had run his last shower straight to the board an he showed me how he used the MCB to turn it on and off ??? Well I'm not having that I says .. arguement over..we're having some isolation !!! My question is .. I would usually use a 45A or 50A pullcord that can be reached from the shower or bath enclosure...(however.. this fella has an unhealthy phobia of pullcords headbang .. mmm ..and isn't happy with that idea !!) ... would it be permissable to have say a 45a DP switch inside the airing cupboard situated just outside the bathroom ?? or does the isolation have to be within reach of the shower itself ?? I'm pretty sure I've either heard or read somewhere that it should but i can't remember... ... wot say u lot.. oh font of all knowledge ??? :D

I have certainaly done the 45 A DP switch in the airing cupboard before, think it is a good comprimise in this situation.

Good luck

Yes as long as it is clearly identified and reasonably close to the entrance to the shower room then that is ok, NO requirement to be within reach of shower.

Yes as long as it is clearly identified and reasonably close to the entrance to the shower room then that is ok, NO requirement to be within reach of shower.
In fact a switch on the wall should NOT be within reach of the shower (no IP rating)

It's usual to put such a switch on the wall just outside the bathroom, so inside the airing cupboard should be fine.

I was about to say that you shouldn't have an iso sw within arms reach of a person standing in the shower.

In fact a switch on the wall should NOT be within reach of the shower (no IP rating)Yes of course, should have put PULL CORD not required to be in reach.

:Blushing

[quote name=sparkytim;135781Yes of course' date=' should have put PULL CORD not required to be in reach.

:Blushing

Well a PULL CORD is a switch that isolates so don't feel bad. :)

Many thanks for your replies boys ... airing cupboard it is .... Might still make him have a pullcord though ... just to humour myself !!! And Eh .. he's gettin help with his pullcord phobia all at no extra costs !!!! Win Win I say !!!! ]:)

Many thanks for your replies boys ... airing cupboard it is .... Might still make him have a pullcord though ... just to humour myself !!! And Eh .. he's gettin help with his pullcord phobia all at no extra costs !!!! Win Win I say !!!! ]:)
But what if it jumps out of the cupboard and garottes him?!?

ROTFWL

Oh Yeah !! hadn't thought of that !! Tricky little buggers these pullcord Mcthingies .. Ha ha !!! ROTFWL Maybe his phobia would then be justified eh !! Guinness

What suggestions do manufactures instructions say...

(these should be followed.)

if the ceiling is high enough the shower cord pull could be above the shower is you so wished!..

generally best 60cm from edge of shower out of zone...

and as said inside airing cupboard is outside of zones!

:coffee