Shower Pump and RCD protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlsreef

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Can someone check this through please.

Putting the shower pump for an aqualisa quartz digital system in the wardrobe of the bedroom behind the bathroom. There is already a single plug socket in there.

In the instructions it says to connect to a 3A fused spur unit with no rcd.

I propose to change the socket to a fused 30ma rcd unit anyway to be safe as the main board is only protected by an old hager rccb which is 100ma.This will also provide discrimination on the circuit.

Does it need protection as will be connected by plastic piping to the shower and it is installed outside of all zones?

Regards

No discrimination will be obtained betwen a 100 m A RCD and a 30 m Amp, Only a time delay (S type) up stream can provide that.

Why would the manufacturer specifically state NO RCD? Do they know their product has a high leakage current? Sounds dodgy to me.

I would be interested to see the actual manufactures instruction document to see exactly what they do say. Mira & Trition specifically state that an RCD should be connected on some of their shower pump installation literature.

Doc H.

Don't think I have ever connected any shower that said RCD protection shouldn't be used plenty that have said it should be though.

BGB says follow manufacturers instructions, never heard of or seen anything that says No RCD though.

It's outside bathroom so would not require RCD unless manufactuer says so. However as you are modifying circuit I would argue you need RCD for circuit to comply with 'cables buried less than 50mm in wall' , unless you know the cables aren't of course.