2 devices from one RCD

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xxx

Reaction score
I am going to spur from a socket, on the main ring, to an RCD then I want to protect two devices, a shower pump and electric under floor heating. I also want to add two fused switches so I can isolate each. 

Is it OK to have two 2.5mm cables coming from the RCD, for each of the devices? 

/--- Switch - - - Pump

Socket - - - RCD-

\---Switch - - - heating

Yes, but I would prefer one off the spur. And to be able to split to the two devices? Is there a better way to do this? 

Yes, but I would prefer one off the spur. And to be able to split to the two devices? Is there a better way to do this? 

if you fitted another RCD in addition to the one in the board then you have no selectivity between the 2. also worth noting that if you intend on using a RCD fused spur or socket then that wont comply with wiring regulations

if you fitted another RCD in addition to the one in the board then you have no selectivity between the 2. also worth noting that if you intend on using a RCD fused spur or socket then that wont comply with wiring regulations
Thanks Andy, OK I'm even more confused now :) I thought it was correct to add in a RCD. Could you please recommend a correct safe way of doing this. The only feed I have is from the existing socket ring. 

Thanks Andy, OK I'm even more confused now :) I thought it was correct to add in a RCD. Could you please recommend a correct safe way of doing this. The only feed I have is from the existing socket ring. 

Confusion normal comes around where the majority of DIY'ers haven't got a clue what an RCD actually does...

And if you have two or more RCD's on the same circuit...

In the event of a fault it will be a random pot luck as to which one, or more than one operates first, or all trip together!

What do the manufactures instructions for the underfloor heating and shower pump suggest...?

Is this also work in a bath or shower room?  

in which case you need to be thinking about how you are ensuring Part P building regs are complied with as well.

Also you don't say what the power rating of the floor heating is?

have you confirmed that the circuit you want to extend from has sufficient capacity?

if you have 2 RCD's in series of the same value, the one in the CU will normally trip first

and the correct way to make changes you are thinking of is to use a spark

Hey, 

Thanks all for your feedback so far.  I am keen to do this myself and also learn! So please excuse me if my original idea was incorrect.  Yes, I'm a novice (but pretty handy) and came to a DIY forum for some help.  I'm happy to provide more information which will hopefully show you what I'm trying to do and get some knowledge back :). And as this is in the bathroom I will get it all signed off in the end.

So for the basics, I would like to fit a Stuart Turner Shower pump, this one, https://www.toolstation.com/stuart-turner-showermate-standard-twin-shower-pump/p38288 and a heat matt
https://www.toolstation.com/klima-underfloor-heating-mat/p66789. 

I was originally thinking I could spur if the mains ring, if not that's OK, but would mean I would need to get the cables to the consumer unit ready for a spark to come in and connect.  But, if I can spur off the main socket ring then It would be much easier for me on routing the cable.

I've attached a picture of the consumer unit, the sockets for the house on that have a 32 amp breaker, and supply 30 sockets. There is also 2 fused spurs (13a) one supplying 4 sockets in a utility room and an outside socket (which has an inbuilt RCD). And the other fused spur (13a) to underfloor heating in the kitchen.

It would be good to know your recommendation on how to fix these devices.

Thanks in advance.

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-28 at 19.36.58.jpeg