Silly q

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electroglow

Reaction score
Hi all...

Has any one got a diagram for 4 way switching ?

Not intermediate but 4 way?

Thanks all

Yes sorry, has any one got a good diagram of it. I have tryed to find one on google but all r rubbish?

Lol I knwhat one looks like.. I want a good one to show a apprenty tomoro when he wires one up for me lol

How about this taken from my college handouts:

4-way.jpg

(Yes......I know the sleeves are RED!)

However, we usually use the two-way terminal in the rose for the switched live and the three-way terminal for the neutral, contrary to what is pictured. ;)

However, we usually use the two-way terminal in the rose for the switched live and the three-way terminal for the neutral, contrary to what is pictured. ;)
Never noticed TBH, just picked up on the red not brown sleeving! Was too busy picking holes in the other B&B Training books we got.......dire IMO!

On new builds, I've been doing a completely different method for a while now.

Feed L into the first switch. TWO switched live's and NEUTRAL out from the first switch on a 3 core.

Next (intermediate) switch, the neutral passes straight through and the two switched lives go through the intermediate switch.

At the end of the chain, the two switched lives into the switch, giving you one switched live out to the lamp, and of course the neutral out to the lamp from there.

This avoids "loop at the light" which with todays fascination for downlighters avoids needs for junction boxes in the ceiling. And compared to all wires in the first switch, it makes each switch box a lot less congested.

Although I've been doing it for ages, I don't recall ever seeing it documented that way, so can I claim the patent for this method and charge you royalties for using it :innocent

Last edited by a moderator:
On new builds, I've been doing a completely different method for a while now.Feed L into the first switch. TWO switched live's and NEUTRAL out from the first switch on a 3 core.

Next (intermediate) switch, the neutral passes straight through and the two switched lives go through the intermediate switch.

At the end of the chain, the two switched lives into the switch, giving you one switched live out to the lamp, and of course the neutral out to the lamp from there.

This avoids "loop at the light" which with todays fascination for downlighters avoids needs for junction boxes in the ceiling. And compared to all wires in the first switch, it makes each switch box a lot less congested.

Although I've been doing it for ages, I don't recall ever seeing it documented that way, so can I claim the patent for this method and charge you royalties for using it :innocent
done it that way a few times

and if you have 2x switches at opposite ends of room, you can take a 3c&e from the light to each switch, instead of 3c&e between them & t&e from light to one of them. and you could add an intermediate into either switch wire

On new builds, I've been doing a completely different method for a while now.Feed L into the first switch. TWO switched live's and NEUTRAL out from the first switch on a 3 core.

Is this not known as the conduit method?