sky downstairs - required upstairs (how to)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazcardiff

Reaction score
I've got sky downstairs and want sky to work upstairs in bedroom.

could anyone explain please?

Thanks in advance :)

run an aerial from the second output of sky box to the other TV, and add a remote eye for the remote (you may need to enable 9v feed for it to work though). and get a second remote

I'm no exoert but have been involved in a similar scenario. Basically there is an output on the back of the sky box which you connect a coax to (F connector I think) then take it to your upstairs TV and get one of those 'magic eye' thingies connected in series and I think there are a few settings on sky for the 5v supply. You should be able to use sky and change channels with sky remote vie the eye.

HTH James

PS I'm sure a more detailed reply will follow!

Both posters are correct. You want one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Aerials_Index/Sky_Remotes/index.html

The bottom item - SLXlink - goes in line by the upstairs TV, and pick whichever remote you need (standard or sky+).

IIRC, the instructions with the SLX tell you how to switch on the 9V "phantom" supply to operate the unit. Simple & straightforward.

HTH

KME

Both posters are correct. You want one of these:http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Aerials_Index/Sky_Remotes/index.html

The bottom item - SLXlink - goes in line by the upstairs TV, and pick whichever remote you need (standard or sky+).

IIRC, the instructions with the SLX tell you how to switch on the 9V "phantom" supply to operate the unit. Simple & straightforward.

HTH

KME
The SLX is old hat now, they are big and ugly. Use a mini magic eye, something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Triax-Compact-Sky-Magic-Eye-Link-Small-UK-Seller-/190307522114?pt=UK_ConEle_SatCableFreeview_RL

Hardly see them once installed.

Also if you want sky on more than 1 TV upstairs use something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLX-6-WAY-Distribution-Amp-Booster-Freeview-DAB-FM-/310238220738?pt=UK_ConElec_TVAerials_RL

By going from 2nd output on sky into the distribution amp and then routing from the amp to each TV

I've used this exact same one and now have sky available in 6 different rooms (you can only watch the same sky channel though) and all TV's also pick up all the freeview channels by using this setup.

TBH, I don`t see a difference between `em - the link you provided looks the same as the TLC SLX.

Hardly see them once installed.
Other than the IR reciever, can`t see mine, its behind the LCD.

I chose to provide that link, as the O/Ps name suggests he`s in Cardiff - and there`s a TLC there.

Also if you want sky on more than 1 TV upstairs use something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLX-6-WAY-Distribution-Amp-Booster-Freeview-DAB-FM-/310238220738?pt=UK_ConElec_TVAerials_RL

By going from 2nd output on sky into the distribution amp and then routing from the amp to each TV

I've used this exact same one and now have sky available in 6 different rooms (you can only watch the same sky channel though) and all TV's also pick up all the freeview channels by using this setup.
Thanks for the info - can you tell me what the difference is between the "old hat" SLX, and the mini eye you linked to?

Thanks

KME

hi

excuse my lack of knowledge in this field but does this mean you can watch different channels to whats on in the other room

gonna find that coax out the shed if so, and invest in the magic eye thingy ma bob.

hiexcuse my lack of knowledge in this field but does this mean you can watch different channels to whats on in the other room

gonna find that coax out the shed if so, and invest in the magic eye thingy ma bob.
Don't think so as the receiver can only produce one channel at a time not sure about sky plus though.

hiexcuse my lack of knowledge in this field but does this mean you can watch different channels to whats on in the other room

no. all rooms will be the same channel as the sky box.

Don't think so as the receiver can only produce one channel at a time not sure about sky plus though.
That is true, but remember that it will take an aerial feed from the same coax so can have a freeview box if not built into the TV.

You can have a sky multiroom subscription that costs +

But, even with sky+. you can`t output the two different channels on the RF lines (unfortunately). So you have to have the same channel showing on both - it seems the second tuner will ONLY record to the internal drive.

KME

But, even with sky+. you can`t output the two different channels on the RF lines (unfortunately). So you have to have the same channel showing on both - it seems the second tuner will ONLY record to the internal drive.KME
presumeably designed like that to make you pay for the extra box...

Thanks for the info - can you tell me what the difference is between the "old hat" SLX, and the mini eye you linked to? Thanks

KME
The "old hat" SLX has a big ugly IR receiver, the link I posted has a receiver which is tiny something like 10mm x 5mm base and about 4mm tall, you simply don't notice it once its installed. Everything else is the same, though some makes use the F-connector rather than a normal coax connector.