Upstairs Lighting Not Working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul3507256

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anybody offer any advice.

I’ve replaced a ceiling rose to put up a new light but know my downstairs lights are working but the upstairs lights aren’t.

I also have a PIV unit in my loft that runs off the lighting circuit which also isn’t working.

Nothing is tripping my fuse board so struggling to understand my downstairs lights are working when the upstairs aren’t.

How many cables were in the ceiling rose? Obvious answer is that you have disconnected the upstairs lights, or you may find they only work when you switch the new light on.

How many cables were in the ceiling rose? Obvious answer is that you have disconnected the upstairs lights, or you may find they only work when you switch the new light on.
Hi. I’ve made sure that all lights upstairs are wires the same way.

The problem I have now is that when I turn the fuse on, one of the lights stays constantly on and the others don’t work.

I have a PIV unit in my loft connected to the lighting circuit. Could this be causing the fault?

Are the upstairs a different circuit from downstairs and have you fitted the new light upstairs. Now show your new fitting.

I have to say it looks correct. If you had mixed the black switch line return with a neutral there would be a dead short when you switched it on.
Double check the connections.

Is the light that stays on connected to the switch for this rose.

Go to the only light working upstairs, the fact that it stays constantly on would suggest you have connected the permanent circuit live to the switch live position. This needs moving to the middle loop live.

Are you SURE the black cores did not get muddled, i,e, the two that were together in the N terminal really are still the same 2 together in the N terminal now?

Are you SURE the black cores did not get muddled, i,e, the two that were together in the N terminal really are still the same 2 together in the N terminal now?
Going to create a dead short when the switch is used and he doesn't suggest this.

Latest posts