Upstairs Lighting Not Working

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Either there is a broken continuity on the live or neutral wires that feed the upstairs part of the circuit, due to damaged wire or incorrectly terminated joint...

Or there is further info we are not being told....?

such as; on the first attempt the breaker did trip, but it no longer trips. (as the switch has been roasted.)
OR
the switch had already failed, but the OP though it was the fitting that needed replacement..
which has been rewired up incorrectly breaking the supply to the upstairs...

What was the reason for replacing the ceiling rose?
Is this a landing light with two-way switching?

Did you strip-back a bit more insulation to make a nice clean joint onto a new bit of copper cable..?
It's not uncommon for previous terminated, (squashed), copper joint to break off inside the screw terminal, when it is retightened,
so visually it may look like the cable it in the joint but actually has no electrical connection.
(also if wire not stripped back enough and the screw is just gripping insulation? ).

🍺 🍺 🍺
Sunday evening beer before bank-holiday has now exhausted my brain!

I made sure I had a photograph before disconnecting.
have you a photo of the new light , as I think the photo is of the old light before you removed it (due to the paint and cobwebs)

its simple all the reds go into their own connector by them selves the two blacks on the left go with the blue from your new light and the single black is with the brown from the new light and if there is an earth connection then all the bear copper go to that connection
This is what I think you have some way got them mixed up and connected the brown from the new light to reds this makes the light stay on all the time and split the blacks so the rest of the light have stoped working, but this just a guess as I would need to be there to say for sure,

Last edited:
not if the feed black (natural) is connect to the brown cable to the light

Agreed...

All live In, Live Out & live to switch are all good...

BUT
Switched live to the lamp actually connects to neutral "In".

And
Switched live from the switch actually connects to the neutral out to the lamp and rest of circuit!!

Which will not introduce a short circuit.

Check the screws are not tightened onto the insulation, also check that the black (live in brown terminal) goes to the same red as in the same twin cable.

Looking at the photographs, the black wire connected to the brown (switch wire) is incorrect, it needs to be on the neutral block on the right. Need to identify which of the two blacks is the switch wire.

Latest posts