Smoke Detectors & Building Regs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon_Cole

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I had a loft conversion done last year and my local building control inspector is insisting that I have mains powered smoke detectors in every room except the bathroom and toilet.

I have been told by my neighbour that the same inspector has specified that she doesn

TBH if thatswhat the inspector wants then you may have to give it to him to get the job signed off.

Which Regs did you read, Approval Doc B?

Ian.

The only time you will require a smoke alarm in every room is when the type of intermittant strip on the fire doors require it.

Normaly you would require one smoke alarm on each floor, evidence is now out that the smoke alarm at the top of the stairs will normally be activated before the downstairs one, dependant on fire/smoke location and siting.

The links above will show you the difference in the level of protection types ie:- Ld2 or whatever.

Good afternoon,I had a loft conversion done last year and my local building control inspector is insisting that I have mains powered smoke detectors in every room except the bathroom and toilet.

I have been told by my neighbour that the same inspector has specified that she doesn

On a new build i am currently at the local building inspector has insisted smoke and heat detectors are fitted to all habital rooms. The ridiculous thing is the utility room housing a boiler, washing machine and drier, lots of electric valves and pumps for water salvage does not need any, along with the garage, although both these rooms have bedrooms above.

What you have to remember is that most buiding control officers only do a one day course, they read a lot, but miss the point.

There are different types of alarm systems, from the basic emergency escape routes, to the full blown property and life protection systems.

It all comes down to risk assesments in the end.

Loft conversions will always require at least one alarm on each floor, because fire doors will be fitted throughout.

The strips that are inserted in the fire doors may require a smoke alarm to be fitted on both sides of that door.

If you have any problems with any authority speak to your local fire safety officer, they are only too pleased to advise you on what the local area demand.

After all it is they who advise the local building control.