Smoke detectors... Dedicated -vs- Lighting circuit.... food for thought!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First question the answer is no, they should be fitted lower and depending on the length situated on opposite sides. 300 mm is the recommended distance from the apex of the roof.

question 2 the minimum stated in all litrature is 300mm.

question 3 if wired to the lighting circuit you wire live neutral and earth. The dimmer works on the switch cable only and would not effect smoke alarms.

First question the answer is no, they should be fitted lower and depending on the length situated on opposite sides. 300 mm is the recommended distance from the apex of the roof.question 2 the minimum stated in all litrature is 300mm.

question 3 if wired to the lighting circuit you wire live neutral and earth. The dimmer works on the switch cable only and would not effect smoke alarms.
indeed GH.... :)

But..

134.1.1 Equipment installed in accordance with manufactures instructions???

I am assuming the "Dicon" instruction sheet has something to do with the interlinked trigger wire susceptible to interference????

but thats just a guess? :( :|

could they be affected by electrical fields? I dont have anything to do with smokes I'm afraid just guessing here.

could they be affected by electrical fields? I dont have anything to do with smokes I'm afraid just guessing here.
the veterinary thinks it's more likely to be dute to warmer air temperatures and the warm air arround a light displacing the smoke?

indeed GH.... :) But..

134.1.1 Equipment installed in accordance with manufactures instructions???

I am assuming the "Dicon" instruction sheet has something to do with the interlinked trigger wire susceptible to interference????

but thats just a guess? :( :|
You are correct, whilst the minimum distances are a guidline you must always follow the makers instructions.Failure to do that could render you responsible under the professional indemnity insurance.(should the worst happen.

The interlink trigger could be subject to interference and so could the other cores, this is where I always adopt the required seperation for safety circuits to try and minimse such events.

the veterinary thinks it's more likely to be dute to warmer air temperatures and the warm air arround a light displacing the smoke?
no...

it says..

Do not install alarms on circuits containing fluorescent fittings or dimmer switches

not close to! Connected to circuit!

No smokes supplied from circuits with florries OR dimmers! :| :eek: ? :| ?:| ? :|

no...it says..

Do not install alarms on circuits containing fluorescent fittings or dimmer switches

not close to! Connected to circuit!

No smokes supplied from circuits with florries OR dimmers! :| :eek: ? :| ?:| ? :|
it's looking like a dedicated circuit.................... :|

my other thoughts are this....

The interlinked trigger wire is NOT 230v...

cuz it still works under 9v backup batt mode!

so can a florrie or dimmer electronics mess up this interconnect ?

that said.......

personally I do always put my smokes on a dedicated circuit anyway.......

But its an important point to be aware of! :| ;)