smoke position

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul b b

Reaction score
hello chaps,

on a re-wire, its a flat and has an entrance on the street with a stairwell at ground level, the stairs have a half landing between floors and the top floor also has a door at the top of the stairs into the hall way.

question is, do i need 2 detectors either side of the door?

i am also fitting a heat detector in the kitchen, is 600mm from door/wall ok or should it be in the center? do the link as smokes do?

thanks one again

paul

Yes they do link together .

If I remember right 600mm is the minimum gap from the wall .

Are you doing both flats ?

A smokie on the stairwell would give the top flat early warning , I'd fit one I think.

hello chaps,on a re-wire, its a flat and has an entrance on the street with a stairwell at ground level, the stairs have a half landing between floors and the top floor also has a door at the top of the stairs into the hall way.

question is, do i need 2 detectors either side of the door?

i am also fitting a heat detector in the kitchen, is 600mm from door/wall ok or should it be in the center? do the link as smokes do?

thanks one again

paul
No, just one detector each side of the door, so 2 detectors total.

the escape route should be totally protected so if the escape route is split by a door, then there needs to be detectors each side the door.

If the stairwell has a flat (horizontal) ceiling at the top then fit here. If the ceiling is angled all the way up to a 'point' at the top then the detector should be on the angled ceiling but 600mm vertically below the peak. (The triangle at the top is "dead" air space.

Detectors should be a minimum of 300mm from any wall.

Ring Aico and ask for a copy of their alarm installation guide.

And don't forget your certificate.

If its causing problems, there is no requirement to fit them at all.
There's a Landlord doing 'bird' right now after a fire injured his tenant rather badly and there were no smokies, so was held responsible for the injury. Seems a good reason to fit them to me.

http://www.residentiallandlord.co.uk/news2279.html

Fire is such a destructive thing and causes such untold horror, that I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would not have smokes fitted (and they're so [relatively] cheap too).

Would you buy a car and remove the airbags and seatbelts? It would save weight and improve fuel economy after all.

No, just one detector each side of the door, so 2 detectors total.the escape route should be totally protected so if the escape route is split by a door, then there needs to be detectors each side the door.

If the stairwell has a flat (horizontal) ceiling at the top then fit here. If the ceiling is angled all the way up to a 'point' at the top then the detector should be on the angled ceiling but 600mm vertically below the peak. (The triangle at the top is "dead" air space.

Detectors should be a minimum of 300mm from any wall.

Ring Aico and ask for a copy of their alarm installation guide.

And don't forget your certificate.
thanks PC, BTW my post was suppose to read "2 detectors, 1 each side of the door" i missed out the 1

thanks again