So why did you decide to become a spark?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kli1

Reaction score
Having just left uni recently I have decided to become an electrician (hopefully). I have always been a more hands-on type of person a think this would suit me better. Just wondering why all uz decided to become one?

well here is the goes i will keep it short back in 1967 when televisions had a sixpenny slot meter i worked out how to bypass the meter and get free

tv when mum and dad were out and i have not looked back sixpence in the gorbals in 1967 to a 9 year old was real money

my old man told me to get a trade, I wanted to be a mechanic, he wasnt having it(he was one! said it wasnt good enough!)

so here I am, my second choice, not that bad a one to be honest, its got me around a fair bit of the world and back again. :)

Always been involved with entertainment since I was a youngster.

Started as a stage manager for the local youth theatre, been a projectionist, had a few spells in bands until I realised I couldn't play for toffee! :^O

When off to uni and got involved in radio and then the technical department. Finished uni and stayed on working for the group as well as free-lancing for local and national companies.

The moved to Hull to work full time there for Hull student union. Got made redundant and moved south.

Got picked up by a council venue and they sent me off on a three year day release to get my 2360.

And that's how I became a sparks!

Left school at 16 with no qualifications and so the only job i could get was a labouring gig, really liked the cash in my hand, plus i am good with my hands and i liked the site atmosphere (i was lucky really that they were all good boys on my first couple of sites) and i didnt mind grafting (once i got used to it:D).

I used to labour for all the trades and picked up a few tricks along the way all of which come in handy house bashing, then when labouring for a spark on site one day i really enjoyed it (probally more to do with the fact the spark was such a good laugh:^ O) and buy the end of the week he had convinced me that i should have a go at the trade. Looking back it was quite lucky really because i was a little misguided at the time and needed pointing in the right direction.

So my boss agreed that if i payed for my qualifications myself he would let me do day release, which is exactly what i did.

well when i left school the likes of ICI were shedding jobs quicker than Barretts and Persimmon homes....

i took first job offer i was given as my dad didnt believe in claiming dole.

was with an electrical/electronic service company, i stayed there three years and then realised that i was doing everything the sparks was doing but without the pay or qualifications, i asked if they would sponsor me to get my quals but they werent interested so i went to college nightschool for three years, did my 16th then inspection and testing and eventually went self employed

same as steptoe for me. i wanted to be a car mechanic but parents talked me into becoming a sparks instead because it would be better for me. So i got an apprenticeship with the electricity board as it was then, and carried on from there. Its not so bad really.

Latest posts