socket positions

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EXT 15Do you always put them at that height (one of my current jobs) Only joking.

Batty
:)

By the way there was nothing I could do about that socket (and many more), at the Landlords request..

:|

Love the way the edging strip sticks out either side protecting the socket from impacts. You chaps have a reg for that sort of thing I believe :D

Not wishing to be silly but if the socket faces were put on upside down would this alleviate any strain on flexes etc? Now do you have a specific regulation that states yey or neigh?
the problem with just turning the plates is if the occupier wishes to put a transformer plug in will have a problem. I would push to move socket

the problem with just turning the plates is if the occupier wishes to put a transformer plug in will have a problem. I would push to move socket
OK, as long as your paying...

]:)

as has been said...

553.1.6a socket outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimise the risk of mechanical damage to the socket outlet or to an associated plug and its flexible cord which might be cause during insertion, use or withdrawal of the plug.
is a key point on this one.. also

NICEIC guidance suggest 100mm as the suitable minimum height.

http://www.niceic.org.uk/myniceic/privileged/nroot/niceic/myniceic/privileged/17thpg7.pdf

I would also suggest you are failing to comply with

134.1.1 "good workmanship / proper materials / manufactures instructions" etc..

An upside down socket would obscure the view of any Red marks or "ON" legend printed on the switch to identify an outlet that is switched ON!!

you should also take account of "External influences" 512.2..

Socket mounted on skirting board greater risk of knocks & bumps from feet / vacuum cleaners, carpet fitters, skirting board replacement.. etc..

Obviously you don't HAVE to go to the preferred 450mm height..

but don't think you can leave them on the floor.

Personally I don't know how you can sign a certificate for your changes saying it complies with current regs???

The same has happened with CU's too, hasn't it Steps. I haven't come across a reg against it.
134.1.1 pg 19 the big read book!

good workmanship.... ....competent person... .....proper materials.... etc. Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacture of the equipment.

I believe Manufactures instructions covers it???

and as Steptoe says any embossed writing, signage, labels etc..

would indicate to any competent person.. which way up its goes! ; \ ;)

as has been said...is a key point on this one.. also

NICEIC guidance suggest 100mm as the suitable minimum height.

http://www.niceic.org.uk/myniceic/privileged/nroot/niceic/myniceic/privileged/17thpg7.pdf

I would also suggest you are failing to comply with

134.1.1 "good workmanship / proper materials / manufactures instructions" etc..

An upside down socket would obscure the view of any Red marks or "ON" legend printed on the switch to identify an outlet that is switched ON!!

you should also take account of "External influences" 512.2..

Socket mounted on skirting board greater risk of knocks & bumps from feet / vacuum cleaners, carpet fitters, skirting board replacement.. etc..

Obviously you don't HAVE to go to the preferred 450mm height..

but don't think you can leave them on the floor.

Personally I don't know how you can sign a certificate for your changes saying it complies with current regs???
unswitched?

there are no changes, like for like doesnt even require a cert, tho its always good practice to issue one.

but I do totally agree with the good workmanship etc.

but what do you do if no one will pay?

you just gotta note it on the cert, but it is only a 'requires improvement' at most.

I`m with SL here.

Steptoe: If no-one`ll pay, you leave it alone, and make a note of it on the cert. At the end of the day, (it gets dark), and as long as something covers YOUR rear, and the work YOU have carried out, there is no more you can do.

THE CLIENT IS ALWAYS RIGHT. Possibly full of male cow waste, but still "right", `cos they`ve got the money.

unswitched?there are no changes, like for like doesnt even require a cert, tho its always good practice to issue one.

but I do totally agree with the good workmanship etc.

but what do you do if no one will pay?

you just gotta note it on the cert, but it is only a 'requires improvement' at most.
Like for like.. repair or replace front covers or damaged cables..

but I read the initial post as rewire part of circuit? ?:|

not really like for like in my book? :|

Evening all, I have been asked to rewire some sockets but the client wants the as is, they are at the moment on the skirting ( 7 inch ) and surface mounted the carpet will just slide under the surface box, is this acceptable ??????, the client wants minimum damage.regards Iain

Like for like.. repair or replace front covers or damaged cables..but I read the initial post as rewire part of circuit? ?:|

not really like for like in my book? :|
I guess I need to pay more attention! Blushing

yep, not really like for like in this case then, really would need moving up a few inches at least then.

but what do you do if client is adamant, just note on the cert(?).

at the end of the day there is only so many jobs you can say no to until you realise there are bills to pay and food to put on the table.

What's the problem with them?The 450 & 1200 refer, in particular to New builds. And some New extensions (Dependant on how your LABC is).

There is no requirement for example - on a rewire - to place them between 450 & 1200mm. It depends on the specs of the job. (IE: if you were rewiring council properties, then chances are they would spec them at between 450 and 1200 mm).

But I do agree that the 7" skirt mounted boxes need to be adjusted, too avoid stress on the flex etc. :)
currently working on a new build to the 16th edition and the client wants sockets at 300mm and switches at 1350mm. Now i know that 450 and 1200 are quoted, but in the on-site-guide it also says that in Scotland (we are always different).

Quote - the Building Regulations are not applicable in Scotland where the Building Standards (Scotland) Regulations apply. The Scottish regulations do not have specific minimum heights for accessories, installations are required to generally comply with BS 7671.

So 300mm for sockets would be ok???? But does the maximum height of 1200mm still apply, anyone know anything that can help?

currently working on a new build to the 16th edition and the client wants sockets at 300mm and switches at 1350mm. Now i know that 450 and 1200 are quoted, but in the on-site-guide it also says that in Scotland (we are always different).Quote - the Building Regulations are not applicable in Scotland where the Building Standards (Scotland) Regulations apply. The Scottish regulations do not have specific minimum heights for accessories, installations are required to generally comply with BS 7671.

So 300mm for sockets would be ok???? But does the maximum height of 1200mm still apply, anyone know anything that can help?
you are fine,

to generally comply with 7671 would be in a safety aspect, nothing to do with heights or otherwise, that is a building reg.

put them any height you want.

bet some1 corrects me now.

I think there is a long standing tradition back to the 1950,s when sparkies did'nt have power tools and went for the easy wood fixings on the skirtings. I've seen loads of 'em damaged by vacuum cleaners leaving live parts for the kids to poke fingers into. The cheapest option is a surface moulded box sitting just above the skirting. As far as I know, sockets on skirtings was always a big no-no.

Deke

you are fine,to generally comply with 7671 would be in a safety aspect, nothing to do with heights or otherwise, that is a building reg.

put them any height you want.

bet some1 corrects me now.
Not likely, mate. As you say, building reg deals with heights, not the bigred!

As long as they`re out of (likely) harm`s way, all`s well AFAIAC