Sockets in bathrooms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luckyboy

Reaction score
While I know that the minimum distance for a socket outlet to a shower/bath is 2.5 metres - does this apply if there is a dryer cupboard within a bathroom?
There is a cupboard within the bathroom which houses a dryer and fed by a socket outlet above, but the tenants had used the outlet for their hairdryer. The socket outlet, with the door open, is measuring less than 2.5m away from the bath.
In my view, although it is separated by a door, it shouldn't be there. I am thinking to change this to an FCU to feed the dryer.

Furthermore, there is no RCD protection to any circuits.

I've already written the report and put item 6.5 on schedule of inspections as a C2 - Potentially Dangerous
13A 230V socket installed within 2.5m of Zone 1 in a room containing a bath or shower

Schedule Item contravened:

6.5 - Low voltage (e.g. 230 V) socket-outlets sited at least 2.5 m from zone 1 (701.512.3)

Just wanted to find out others opinions...

If it's in a cupboard it's not in the same room - I've always found that a bit weird, but I think it allows for boilers and immersion heaters which can be in a bathroom cupboard? Personally I think I would run with your own idea of installing a fused spur.

If it's in a cupboard it's not in the same room - I've always found that a bit weird, but I think it allows for boilers and immersion heaters which can be in a bathroom cupboard? Personally I think I would run with your own idea of installing a fused spur.
Agree, specifically in a rental property where tenants seem to be stupider than the average human.

a socket can outside the door, but within the 2.5 meters and that’s ok

Latest posts