sodding plasterers!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The boxes Blue Fox refers to were in Professional Electrician, they were called "Yoozy boxes" if memory serves, invented by a sparks called Hughes who'd had the problems we've all had with plasterers.

I've had problems with plasterers & dry liners, one particular bunch of c***s I had the misfortune to share a site with carried side-cutters to cut cables & weren't above removing capping or oval tubing to make boarding easier, on one job they even pulled out a door entry cable rather than make a hole in their board. They'd do this then charge to come back & make good where we had to make holes to get our cables back...

I did once meet a plasterer with an IQ higher than a yukka plant, he retrained as an electrician!

The boxes Blue Fox refers to were in Professional Electrician, they were called "Yoozy boxes" if memory serves, invented by a sparks called Hughes who'd had the problems we've all had with plasterers.I've had problems with plasterers & dry liners, one particular bunch of c***s I had the misfortune to share a site with carried side-cutters to cut cables & weren't above removing capping or oval tubing to make boarding easier, on one job they even pulled out a door entry cable rather than make a hole in their board. They'd do this then charge to come back & make good where we had to make holes to get our cables back...

I did once meet a plasterer with an IQ higher than a yukka plant, he retrained as an electrician!
Yeah that was where I saw them, I remember now!

I was a plasterer for 10 years before retraining as a spark, not all plasterers are bar stewards. You must agree there are good and bad in every trade.

When I was plastering I either took the sockets off and put the cables on choc blocs or pulled them off the wall and taped a bag round them, depending on how many there were.

The problem with just pulling the off the wall is that the trowels are razer sharp one slip and your through the cable.

The problem with putting the cables in choc blocks in the back of the box is that the plasterer doesn't get paid to take off and put back on the sockets and switches so if there's a lot then your losing money before you start.

Plus you don't really want the plasterer messing with the sockets and switches because if there are any problems it will come back to you, the electrician.

Those Yoozy boxes look ideal if they take off it will save a lot of grief for both plasterer and spark.

Can't remember where IO sawa them now but did see some boxes that can be put over the back boxes to prevent the plasterer from plastering over them, you then remove them and second fix! Thought ohh thats a good idea when I saw them as have had boxes disapeer a few times but forgot where I saw them now
There was a company selling them at elex sandown last year. Sorry can't remember their name.

I was a plasterer for 10 years before retraining as a spark, not all plasterers are bar stewards. You must agree there are good and bad in every trade.When I was plastering I either took the sockets off and put the cables on choc blocs or pulled them off the wall and taped a bag round them, depending on how many there were.

The problem with just pulling the off the wall is that the trowels are razer sharp one slip and your through the cable.

The problem with putting the cables in choc blocks in the back of the box is that the plasterer doesn't get paid to take off and put back on the sockets and switches so if there's a lot then your losing money before you start.

Plus you don't really want the plasterer messing with the sockets and switches because if there are any problems it will come back to you, the electrician.

Those Yoozy boxes look ideal if they take off it will save a lot of grief for both plasterer and spark.
whoever is running the job, should make sure the electrician does whatever is required before the plasterer starts, but this very rarely happens.

You find yourself having to deal with amateur problems likes this time and time again. You tell project managers about the problem but nothing sinks in. You end up saying to yourself its not my decision but it makes you look bad cos the sockets look like they have been fit by an amateur.

You might as well do thisheadbang

Yes thats what i do but the problem is plasterers skimming walls with existing fittings and not arranging for the sockets and switches etc to be removed ready.

whoever is running the job
Well that's usually the problem, no-one is running most of the jobs, just the customer, who is generally clueless in all the right areas.