solar panels

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomsamuels

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm considering adding a small solar panel installation to my house mainly as a hobbyist type project. I would want it connected to our house electrics by a professional however. I live in SW London. Any ideas what this would entail and the rough kind of costings involved?

Hi there, I'm considering adding a small solar panel installation to my house mainly as a hobbyist type project. I would want it connected to our house electrics by a professional however. I live in SW London. Any ideas what this would entail and the rough kind of costings involved?
A lot more information is needed like how small is small - 1kW, 2kW, 4kW???? Battery storage? How much electricity do you use and what tariff are you on? It's a bit like saying, I'm thinking of buying a car, what will it cost? far too many unknowns.

as a hobbyist type project.

Just my opinion, you can buy (small) kits, where you, yourself install everything (In your garden, or on a flat roof)................. There was a chap on YT showing how he did it, it was to run his "home office" Lights, mobile phone charger, computer and a few bits, and he had battery storage, all of which worked for him. He also pointed out that it was just a hobbyist project, and as such he accepted the fact that what he had done, although it worked very well was not financially worth it.

Some time later, I looked into installing some solar, for "experimental purposes" and I too soon came to the conclusion that to have something "hobbyist" that works, is not cost effective, if you are looking at solar, do it properly, but it will cost quite a few £k so should not be treated lightly. (One of the things most forgotten is the cost of scaffolding to get to the roof to mount the panels)

I wish you luck.

Be aware you might need a new consumer unit / fuseboard - its not recommended that you connect the PV system to a shared RCD.

A new circuit also falls under Part P too.

Just my opinion, you can buy (small) kits, where you, yourself install everything (In your garden, or on a flat roof)................. There was a chap on YT showing how he did it, it was to run his "home office" Lights, mobile phone charger, computer and a few bits, and he had battery storage, all of which worked for him. He also pointed out that it was just a hobbyist project, and as such he accepted the fact that what he had done, although it worked very well was not financially worth it.

Some time later, I looked into installing some solar, for "experimental purposes" and I too soon came to the conclusion that to have something "hobbyist" that works, is not cost effective, if you are looking at solar, do it properly, but it will cost quite a few £k so should not be treated lightly. (One of the things most forgotten is the cost of scaffolding to get to the roof to mount the panels)

I wish you luck.
it works best on 'economies of scale' especially if scaffolding is involved. But with leccy at 30p per kWh, the numbers do tend to stack up in your favour.

Locked to prevent being hi-jacked (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.