solar pannels

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can get a whole kit I think. I havent installed but did cover this in my 2391-20 design course project recently.

2 options,

a) standalone system directly powering circuits in the home

B) grid connected system where a special meter feeds unused power to the grid and owner gest 30p/unit back

Depends on budget really.

most expensive items will be the PV arrays then the inverter.

Evening chaps,customer is looking into having solar pannels, whats the score with them? how do you wire them in?
In its basic form ..

PV panel down to DC-AC converter 'magic box'

(this also synchonised the phase of the newly generated supply to match the AC cycle of your house supply.)

The new generated AC is connected via a big lockable isolator switch

through a bog standard MCB onto you CU.

There HAS to be a lockable isolator to comply with safe isolation..

ESC do a best practice guide... on this page...

Electrical Safety Council Best Practice Guides

Connecting a microgeneration system to a domestic or similar electrical installation

http://www.niceic.org.uk/en/contractor/section.asp?SECTION=20&VIEW=4

A job I did just connected onto the CU via some 2.5mm T&E through a 20A MCB..

Clearly label MCB as an INPUT to the CU NOT output from the CU.

Make sure dual supply notices are fitted..

Reg 514.15.1 Page 95 - 95 Big red!

Note:-

Another contractor had fitted the panels and the magic box..

I just did the CU connections! ;)

:) :x

Guinness

whats the life expectancy of the panels, last time i looked in to this it just didnt add up even with the increased feed in tariff.

What is the current situation with this "MCS" certification? I`ve been asked to look at a job with PV solar, and possibly a hydro turbine. If the customer wants to "feed-in" to the grid, do I have to get this certification too?????

If you really want to take it far pv, turbines, gennies etc this what your bill might look like.?

EDFbill.jpg

Done a fair bit of research into PV & am considering a course after the 2330 It wont save the planet but it will pay you back in the long run :)

the question we all hav I guess is "how long is this long run?".....
Article I read said 12 years approx. which could run to 15+ if you have to do it via a loan or are losing interest on your savings. These estimates would also be dependant on the rise or fall of energy prices.

the question we all hav I guess is "how long is this long run?".....
Funnily enough I've just been looking at PV arrays for home after renewed interest on the forum, and not 10 seconds ago that was the exact cliffhanger I left it on before clicking 'new posts'! Need to get some bills out and have a look, if there's a chance of it paying back within a reasonable timescale then I'd happily shove a few up.

What is the current situation with this "MCS" certification? I`ve been asked to look at a job with PV solar, and possibly a hydro turbine. If the customer wants to "feed-in" to the grid, do I have to get this certification too?????
you need the qualifiction to claim the grants ... the course is 600 i think .

I have searched for 2372 Solar PV at NIC, they dont do that. I might be wrong. I have decided to take this course in summer and already lookin forward to it.