Solar PV repair quote.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When my SMA inverter failed last year, out of warranty, I phoned up SMA and they weren’t interested in part exchange, told me I needed to but a new one at £800 which I would get a 5 year warranty with. Needless to say I bought a Solis at £400 still with a 5 year warranty.

Gave my old SMA to ProDave to play with.
And it's still under my bench.  I got as far as identifying a power module that is faulty and then determined it was impossible to source one.  It will probably sit there until someone else has the same unit with a different fault and there might just might be a slim chance of making a good one out of 2.

I bought two SB4000's from ebay one for only £60 and that's the one I am using now.

So if there is an imbalance of voltage but still within a credible range   the inverter should not have failed and should  be able to produce at least some power. 

You may have made the array sub-optimal (TBH the UK weather is sub optimal too) but if there's voltage into the inverter I'd far rather the guy tried a different inverter at ground level before going £££ ape on scaffolding - perhaps to no avail.

That was my thinking TBH.......it was 3 years ago when I moved the panels and the inverter has only just stopped working (with no fault code on it either). The contractor just seemed more interested in telling me how irresponsible and stupid I'd been, and even put it in writing as well in his invoice!

I've sourced a SH like for like inverter so going to try that first.

That was my thinking TBH.......it was 3 years ago when I moved the panels and the inverter has only just stopped working (with no fault code on it either). The contractor just seemed more interested in telling me how irresponsible and stupid I'd been, and even put it in writing as well in his invoice!

I've sourced a SH like for like inverter so going to try that first.

Your contractor sounds like an arrogant sort pf person to me. What inverter do you have? 

Your contractor sounds like an arrogant sort pf person to me. What inverter do you have? 
Its a SMA sunny boy SB2000 HF30. It was fitted new in June 2014 and not long after, maybe 12 months, the backlight failed on the display (when you tap the front). It was probably one of them built on a Friday afternoon, as my old Dad would say!!

I've got a SH one in the post from a reputable dealer.....at £150 its worth a try in my opinion.

Its a SMA sunny boy SB2000 HF30. It was fitted new in June 2014 and not long after, maybe 12 months, the backlight failed on the display (when you tap the front). It was probably one of them built on a Friday afternoon, as my old Dad would say!!

I've got a SH one in the post from a reputable dealer.....at £150 its worth a try in my opinion.
 Not their finest inverter. It never was very reliable compared to later products. 

£150, well worth a try, Isolate the AC and DC then just swap over. 

Not their finest inverter. It never was very reliable compared to later products. 

£150, well worth a try, Isolate the AC and DC then just swap over. 
Thank you for your advice Binky and to all who replied. All Isolated and inverter removed ready for new one.

I'll let you know how I got on.....

Update.......

I have fitted the new (SH) inverter and it fired up straight away, no problems (and no mammoth bills).........very happy.

Thank you to all who took the time to reply with your great advice. 

Update.......

I have fitted the new (SH) inverter and it fired up straight away, no problems (and no mammoth bills).........very happy.

Thank you to all who took the time to reply with your great advice. 
Thought so 😀