Some advice please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ELECSA want you to have your 17th edition (C&G 2382) and be 'competent' at testing an inspection, Your C&G 2392-10 Fundamental Inspection & Testing of Electrical Installations would go a long way to proving that.ELECSA - Requirements & Costs

Our sponsor lists the full 17th Edition course at 1 day a week for 4 weeks and the 2392-10 at 1 day a week for 5 weeks. It would appear at that point if you can gain enough practical experience to pass the exams that you could join ELECSA 9 weeks later certifying your own work. Brian Scaddan Associates Ltd - Courses

stir.gif

Or am I reading it wrong?

The short courses still gain you City and Guilds Qualifications.

:C
You are not reading the link wrong, but are are missing the point of what the OP needs. The link you reference is to the 2382 which is a 'Level3' course. As such it is not an entry level new starter course. The C&G own guidance suggests Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installations | Construction and Building | Electrical Installation | City & Guilds

You're a practising electrician with specific qualifications, who needs to update your certification to meet the latest edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations. Or alternatively you're a newly qualified electrician who needs to gain this certificate.
From my reading of this thread, the OP is not a practicing electrician who needs to update his knowledge of the current wiring regulations. There are lower level courses that cover the underpinning electrical theory of how AC currents operate within different wiring systems and how those characteristics change with different loading, inductive, capacitive effects, magnetism, power factor correction, transformer theory, motors, energy consumption, light dissipation etc. None of which is covered in a Regulations update course. It would be foolish for the forum to imply that a complete newcomer to the trade can do a 1day per week 4 week course and come out halfway to calling themselves a competent electrician. City & Guilds is more than just one course, The OP would need to complete lower level courses before he attains the 2382. The Elecsa link as with the other approved contractor groups would assume the lower level courses have been accomplished as well.

Doc H.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was made at 09:25 ----------

The short courses still gain you City and Guilds Qualifications. :C

Interesting as some forum members have differentiated between the 5k quickie and the C&G as being very different in terms of qualifications
As I suggested earlier

I've just had a very encouraging email from my local College inviting me to an interview for a full time C&G course to discuss a late starting 2330 in the next couple of months

That also went on to say that it will cost

I've just had a very encouraging email from my local College inviting me to an interview for a full time C&G course to discuss a late starting 2330 in the next couple of monthsThat also went on to say that it will cost

I've just had a guy from Plumbing Courses, Electrical Courses, Gas Engineer Training Course around for a couple of hours

Broadly speaking it's learning from home and completing online modules,for every 12 modules you then go to their training and testing centres for Practical only (1 week) then you move on and do the next 12 modules ect ect. 8 x 1 weeks at Guildford centre after every 12 modules, each module should take around 1 week of around 8/12 hours theory on line and written literature supplied.Each module has an on line exam of multiple choice and some virtual reality practical testing which you must pass before moving on.

Domestic Electrical Installer - Theory and Practical Modules leading to

Industry Certification in Essential Electrics

Part P Defined scope

C&G 2377 - in service inspection and testing of electrical eqipment

C&G 2382 - 10-17th edition of the iee regs

Part P full scope

C&G 2357 Level 3 NVQ Diploma in installing electrotechnical systems and equipment (Buildings,Structures and the environment) knowledge units

Unit 1 Health and safety legislation,practices and procedures

Unit 3 Overseeing and organising the work environment (Electrical Installation)

Unit 4 Installation of elctrotechnical equipment,and systems

Unit 5 Installation of wiring systems and electrotechnical equipment

Unit 6 Termination and connection of conductors,cables and cords in electrical systems

Electrician - Theory and Practical modules leading to

City & Guilds 2357 Level 3 NVQ Diploma in installing Electrotechnical Systems and equipment

Unit 2 Envinmental legislation,working working practices and environmentla technology systems

Unit 7 Inspection,testing,commisioning and certification of electrotechnical systems and equipment

Unit 8 Diagnosing and correcting electrical faults in electrotechnical systems and euipment in buildings,structures and environment

Unit 9 Electrical principles associated with the design,building,installation and maintenance of electrical equipment and systems

C&G 2392-10 - Certificate in Fundamental inspection,tsting and initial verification

C&G 2391 - Certificate in Inspection, Testing abd Verification of electrical installations

Takes typically 18 months and I can work for my brother as an electricians mate for 3/4 days a week (5000)

I also have a 2hr interview at my local college tomorrow which is basically C&G 2330 1 yr full time course 3 days a week (1200)

What do you think???

+1

I am at a loss to figure out how you think waiting a week then posting the same question again will somehow change the answers previously given on this thread....

go back and re-read the thread!

me post #29

These short courses are primarily there to get you to pass an exam (thats how the training company gets paid) As long as you pass the exam they generally do not worry about how competent you actually are to do practical work.

Training companies will always sell them to you as the best thing. because its is their money earner!

It is very easy to get an electrical circuit to work, it is harder to get it to work safely.

BUT they were initially intended for people already working in the trade who just need to update some of their paper qualification. NOT as a complete package for persons changing trades..
Or better still the Doc hit the another key nail on the head in his post #49..

From my reading of this thread, the OP is not a practicing electrician who needs to update his knowledge of the current wiring regulations. There are lower level courses that cover the underpinning electrical theory of how AC currents operate within different wiring systems and how those characteristics change with different loading, inductive, capacitive effects, magnetism, power factor correction, transformer theory, motors, energy consumption, light dissipation etc. None of which is covered in a Regulations update course. It would be foolish for the forum to imply that a complete newcomer to the trade can do a 1day per week 4 week course and come out halfway to calling themselves a competent electrician. City & Guilds is more than just one course, The OP would need to complete lower level courses before he attains the 2382. The Elecsa link as with the other approved contractor groups would assume the lower level courses have been accomplished as well.
If you have got the money to waste.. pay your 5grand and get less of a course...

I would be questioning what is your existing knowledge of electrical science?

If its not already pretty good then you are not going to understand WHY half the things are what they are

Or be able to interpret or evaluate unforeseen problems on site very well!

From that course list you are booking courses on Pat testing, 17th ed regs, Building structutres...

cant see where you are going to get understanding of what Doc lists as..

"inductive, capacitive effects, magnetism, power factor correction, transformer theory, motors, energy consumption, light dissipation etc."

Do you understand all these thing from your past employment?

:|

Just looked at unbiased forum for t4t and it looks like bad news for lots of dosh ; ( - appointment with college tomoz at 1.30

It's hardly short and rushed! 18 months minimum
headbang

Now read the rest of the post...

COURSE CONTENT!!!!!!!!

From that course list you are booking courses on Pat testing, 17th ed regs, Building structutres...cant see where you are going to get understanding of what Doc lists as..

"inductive, capacitive effects, magnetism, power factor correction, transformer theory, motors, energy consumption, light dissipation etc."

Do you understand all these thing from your past employment?
Bottom line is it don't bother me too hoots what or where you want to spend your money..

BUT facts are facts...

READ THE COURSE CONTENT..

see what you get and don't get for your money....

the C&G 2377 - in service inspection and testing of electrical equipment

is about as much use as a fart in a colander if you are wanting to do domestic installation work!!!!!

waste of space, time & money..

or do you intend doing PAT testing at 80p per item???

Code of Practice for In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment | Electrical| City & Guilds |

As a qualified electrician.. Originally trained in a different trade...

who went through redundancy 14years ago with wife, kids and mortgage to support....

I was just offering some sound advice on best route for someone who has NO exisiting electrical qualifications...

18months IS short!!!!

Take it or leave it!

If I have missunderstood your earlier posts and you do have prior electrical experience then I am sorry!

:coat

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:12 ----------

Just looked at unbiased forum for t4t and it looks like bad news for lots of dosh ; ( - appointment with college tomoz at 1.30
Unbiased? don't you think this is unbiased?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that answer was useful!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:23 ----------

Sorry ! Didnt know you was talking from experience with T4T

Time, at the end of the day, whatever our own beliefs are here, we only want to help people make the absolute best of themselves in whatever way we can. It can be via technical advice (no one ever stops learning or knows this trade fully), or merely help them choose an electrical course based in your personal situation. The only chip on My shoulder is seeing people get sold down the river by companies like T4TS, without realising it. These companies are the biggest let down to do with the construction industry, and we are only looking out for newbies in terms of seeing them right.

I apologise here and now if I have offended you Time, or anyone else on this forum with the above statement.

AndyGuinness

Your comments are invaluable matey ;) as is everyone's. I don't want to waste money,and I don't want to be a Cowboy with a Mickey Mouse bit of paper,that's for sure.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:38 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:36 ----------

SL,I guess you never had any regrets?