Some things just won't sink in.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha ha ha,
I would Google battery cables on line, it's not the sort of stuff electrical wholesalers tend to have. They might have meter tails in a similar type of cable, but can't think what they call them as I'm too tight fisted to pay the extra 😃
I'll have a Google and see what I can find.

Cheers.

It looks very much like welder cable which may be another source.
Welder cable? As in the power cable to run a welder off, or some sort of cable you use for welding?

I'm very jealous, as I'm assuming you can weld. I'd love to be able to weld.

The low voltage cable which connects the ground clamp and the stick holder. I'm thinking industrial size stuff, not your typical home welder.
I have some superb jump leads made a few years ago when I was in a position to acquire such cast-offs.
And yes I can weld a little bit, but certainly not well enough to make anyone jealous!

I won't have enough of that cable, would TLC or CEF do it, and if so, what would I ask for, 12mm² flex cable?
eBay is your friend!!! although I can only find 10mm2 and 16mm2 around the size you want. Search welding cable and you'll find it. I used 35mm2 on my batteries.

The low voltage cable which connects the ground clamp and the stick holder. I'm thinking industrial size stuff, not your typical home welder.
I have some superb jump leads made a few years ago when I was in a position to acquire such cast-offs.
And yes I can weld a little bit, but certainly not well enough to make anyone jealous!
Lol, cheers Geoff.

eBay is your friend!!! although I can only find 10mm2 and 16mm2 around the size you want. Search welding cable and you'll find it. I used 35mm2 on my batteries.
Hey John, thanks for that.

You use 35mm², wow, that's serious cable.

I'm limited by the plug into the inverter, it will just fit this cable, which I think is 12mm² (it says 6AWG).

I'll have a quick online search and see if I get lucky.

Thanks guys.

Found it instantly on eBay, just searched 6awg cable. Lolhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325104560957?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sE4OLNf_R7a&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Agni7gaaTsy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&medi

Found it instantly on eBay, just searched 6awg cable. Lolhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325104560957?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sE4OLNf_R7a&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Agni7gaaTsy&var=&widget_ver=artemis&medi
Why not use the proper H07-RN-F cable?? This is the nicest lovely cable you will ever find [bearing in mind that all the welder cable you see now is cheap chinese shit] AND comes in sizes up to 500mm

john..

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    174.5 KB
Why not use the proper H07-RN-F cable?? This is the nicest lovely cable you will ever find [bearing in mind that all the welder cable you see now is cheap chinese shit] AND comes in sizes up to 500mm

john..
Hi John,

I didn't actually search welders cable, just 6AWG silicone cable.

The stuff I've got is crazy soft and flexible. It's tiny, fine strands of tinned copper.

Without sounding like I've got a silicone cable fetish, it's beautiful stuff.

john..
Well you may like to think the cable I used is cheap Chinese shit but you'd be wrong. I don't know where it was manufactured but the quality is superb, the insulation robust but flexible and it was a lot easier to obtain than H07-RN-F cable. Perhaps you can provide a link to support your outlandish claims regarding the cables I've bought?

Well you may like to think the cable I used is cheap Chinese shit but you'd be wrong. I don't know where it was manufactured but the quality is superb, the insulation robust but flexible and it was a lot easier to obtain than H07-RN-F cable. Perhaps you can provide a link to support your outlandish claims regarding the cables I've bought?
Do not have to supply anything.. Are they marked as being suitable for mains voltages, thought not.. I have not seen decent welding cable for many many years.. At one time the welding return cable was very different fron that used for the electrode, but hey, i used to teach welding technology in two respected local technical colleges, so what do i know... If the cable you bough was NOT chinese shit, it would have the makers name and the appovals stamped on it..

In what way is H07 hard to obtain?? I could go to my local electrical place and they have it in stock all the time. OR, i could order some from the "electric cable company, who have the single core in stock up to 150MM and also do up to 19 cores, all in stock, all for next day delivery..

john..

Do not have to supply anything.. Are they marked as being suitable for mains voltages, thought not.. I have not seen decent welding cable for many many years.. At one time the welding return cable was very different fron that used for the electrode, but hey, i used to teach welding technology in two respected local technical colleges, so what do i know... If the cable you bough was NOT chinese shit, it would have the makers name and the appovals stamped on it..
I never realised that cables had to be marked with manufacturers name and approvals, oddly I've checked all of the cables I have here in my shed and only about 10% them have such marking despite most of them having the name and approvals on the actual drum. Maybe the law has changed.

In what way is H07 hard to obtain?? I could go to my local electrical place and they have it in stock all the time. OR, i could order some from the "electric cable company, who have the single core in stock up to 150MM and also do up to 19 cores, all in stock, all for next day delivery..
john..
I asked out of interest at my local electrical wholesaler, looked on ebay and on Amazon and nowhere did 35mm2 cable show up. The alternatives were readily available.

My cables aren't marked as suitable for mains voltages but using them on 50v isn't mains. The insulation is substantial yet flexible and 5kv doesn't get through it so I'm comfortable with my purchase and recommendation to others.

AWG = American wire gauge. Not used here.

I never realised that cables had to be marked with manufacturers name and approvals, oddly I've checked all of the cables I have here in my shed and only about 10% them have such marking despite most of them having the name and approvals on the actual drum. Maybe the law has changed.

I asked out of interest at my local electrical wholesaler, looked on ebay and on Amazon and nowhere did 35mm2 cable show up. The alternatives were readily available.

My cables aren't marked as suitable for mains voltages but using them on 50v isn't mains. The insulation is substantial yet flexible and 5kv doesn't get through it so I'm comfortable with my purchase and recommendation to others.
Hi There, never realised it was only 50v. Welding cable will do that, although it is not what i would use. 35mm is a standard welding cable size, as is 50mm.

Anyway,, here we have H07 and a LOT cheaper than decent welding cable too..

Attachments

• CABLE.jpg
    CABLE.jpg
    423.5 KB
Hi There, never realised it was only 50v. Welding cable will do that, although it is not what i would use. 35mm is a standard welding cable size, as is 50mm.

Anyway,, here we have H07 and a LOT cheaper than decent welding cable too..
It looks to be an impressive online supplier, address noted for future reference.

The cable however is NOT a lot cheaper as you claim, in fact it's more expensive, the cable I used was £7.50 per metre. The cable I used was also available in black and red outer sheath.

Thanks for the company info.