spotlights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jas Electrics

Reaction score
hi

just wiring up some spotlights

running the spotlights in series

so just looping line, meutral and earth from one spotlight to another to another eventually to the last one

is this right

does each spotlight need a junction box.

i.e spotlight 1 neutral, line , earth in junction box. From junction box neutral, line and earth to spotlight 2 and so one???????

If the two cables will fit into the downlight then there's no problem doing it that way mate.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was made at 14:50 ----------

Soemtimes it can be tight getting 2 x 1.5mm cables into the tiny choc block supplied with the spotlight/downlight. I wire them this way making sure the downlighters have choc blocks big enough to take 2 x 1.5mm's :)hth

hi just wiring up some spotlights

running the spotlights in series

so just looping line, meutral and earth from one spotlight to another to another eventually to the last one

is this right

does each spotlight need a junction box.

i.e spotlight 1 neutral, line , earth in junction box. From junction box neutral, line and earth to spotlight 2 and so one???????
Are these 240v spotlights, or are they LED. LED are either series or parrallel and need different drivers for either way. You can damage the driver and lamps if wired wrong

Are these 240v spotlights, or are they LED. LED are either series or parrallel and need different drivers for either way. You can damage the driver and lamps if wired wrong
Hi thanks for everyones replys.

these are LED bulbs - which are 240v

the choco block attached to the spotlight cannot take two 1.5 cables so which is the best way to do this

~Would it be best to use a 20A junction box for each light?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:47 ---------- Previous post was made at 17:58 ----------

hi guys

i will be using LED lights downlihts for the kitchen

I will be using junction boxes as i cant cant two cables in the downlight.

can you let me know the size of junction box to use.

Ashley j501 junction boxes are good or click connectors are also good and cheap or any junction box as long as it fits through the downlight hole lol. Wagobox are also good for this :) hth

hi

i have bought some junction boxes standard white 20A ones

think these should be ok

thanks to all the guys that responded

especially Matty!

If they are the small ones which will fit through the holes for the downlight then they are the correct ones. Just do a proper job of it and sleeve the earth and connect it up (do not cut it off), and make sure that you take the cable sheath into the juction box.

You do know that installing downlights comes under Part P of the building regs:O

Ashley j501 junction boxes are good or click connectors are also good and cheap or any junction box as long as it fits through the downlight hole lol. Wagobox are also good for this :) hth
Did you know WAGO now make mini boxes to take their push fits, perfect to fit in down-lighter holes!

and 'Lever' fits:tongue in cheek

Last edited by a moderator: