Want to swap integrated spotlights for new fixture but wiring doesn't make sense.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHarris

Reaction score
I've just moved into a new build property and wanted to change the bulbs in some spotlights for dimmer ones but soon realised the spotlights appear to be an integrated fixture and the bulb does not come out. I purchased some new fixtures that accept GU10 bulbs but upon checking the wiring there are two wires going into each integrated fixture for some reason. Does anybody know why this is and if the new fixture I purchased will work with the current wiring?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0643.jpeg
    IMG_0643.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0642.jpeg
    IMG_0642.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
Well you're not going to like this but those fittings you have bought are 'not very good ones 😉) to be fair they are rubbish. You CAN get two wires into them BUT it is a pain in the arse. Take them back,and get proper fittings

Sorry, but that's the way it is
Fair play any brand you would suggest?

....there are two wires going into each integrated fixture for some reason. Does anybody know why this is and if the new fixture I purchased will work with the current wiring?

Thanks!

The existing fittings, (which include multiple lamps off the same switch), are looped at each lamp..
Compared to a single feed to each lamp supplied from a central junction box..

The lamps you have purchased do not appear to have any place to terminate the protective earth wire..?
Even if not needed for a specific lamp, earth continuity should be extended to all accessory positions.

Also, your new lamps appear to be open-backed, leaving various additional risks from heat due to touching insulation, (and/or other crap), from the loft/ceiling void onto the back of the lamp.

My basic rules of thumb for any recessed spot lamps are..

(1) make sure they have removable lamps.
(2) make sure they can terminate Live Neutral & Earth, not just Live & Neutral.
(3) make sure they can accommodate 2x cables in both terminals and cable clamps.
(4) are they a reasonable price and do they have the finish that I require.

JCC, do some reasonable 'blank cans', that can have various finish front bezels fitted,
and have a closed back, (& fire rated if needed).. and can accommodate 2x 1.0mm T&E quite comfortably.

e.g. quick google...
JCC can
black bezel

other suppliers are available...

Guys, why all the distain for integrated downlights , i have had lucceco integrated in my busy bathroom for over seven years , no probs , granted when they fail i would go for changable lamps

Guys, why all the distain for integrated downlights , i have had lucceco integrated in my busy bathroom for over seven years , no probs , granted when they fail i would go for changable lamps

Why would you do that?

The reason I swapped back to customer changeable lamps was because certain models started failing regularly, then there are customers who want to swap output colour or wattage ..... these mean hassle for installers and since I swapped back to GU10 models the hassle has vapourised. Happy days

Agreed, quality of most everything is pants nowadays , terminals getting forever smaller need matchstick fingers and a microscope

Luxna from YESSS are a joke
I have replaced over 50 of them....there was a dodgy batch that they kept quiet about. I got paid for my time and travel
Do you know what the best bit is? Each time they bring out a revision they change the fecking connector, so you cannot drop one out, unplug, plug in new and refit!! We are now on version 4

Agreed, quality of most everything is pants nowadays , terminals getting forever smaller need matchstick fingers and a microscope

Yes that pretty much sums up Lap products and many others .............

You get what you pay for and as an installer the last thing I want are rubbish products tarring my reputation.

Buy once, buy wisely

Luxna from YESSS are a joke
I have replaced over 50 of them....there was a dodgy batch that they kept quiet about. I got paid for my time and travel
Do you know what the best bit is? Each time they bring out a revision they change the fecking connector, so you cannot drop one out, unplug, plug in new and refit!! We are now on version 4

hit, nail and head springs to mind

The reason I don't like these non replaceable lamp things, is you can bet in 5 years when one fails (if indeed they last that long) you won't be able to buy an identical replacement so you will have an odd light, either a different look, or a different colour, or you replace the lot. OR you buy a whole load of spares when you buy the, to cover failures.

I recommend any decent enclosed fire rated GU10 downlighter, but those are getting harder to find particularly if you limit your search to just screw station.

my thanks to monkey5 for his suggestion about ansell fittings. I need some for a property renovation. Found some on promotion. Excellent

Latest posts