spur off grid switch

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdosanjh

Reaction score
Whilst moving a grid switch noticed that a spur was taken off the kitchen grid switch to feed a socket for fridge my concern being that this grid switch ring main is not rcd protected Shud I b concerned

Initially it fed a washing machine tumble dryer hob/hood and friidge kitchen all with fused modules for each appliance in total 8 gang switch

Kitchen changed around and only two appliances are fed from the actual switch (hob and washing machine)the spur for the frige taken of the legs!! Sorry about response am working

Cable installed in hollow wall

Seems mechanically protected according to new owner of house installed about a year ago to accommodate big fridge!!!

Yeah true!! But it takes years to build rep and only a moment to destroy it !! As professional electricians I think we have a duty to point out to customers if there is problem and well then it's upto them if they want to remedy the problem!!!

In this case my concern was the fact it was in a kitchen and not off the socket ring mains for the house

Is this still a Two gang back box or has it been reduced to a single gang back box? I'm just wondering if you can Introduce the fridge as a third switch on the grid system? Or am I missing the essence of you concern? Are you wishing too rcd the kitchen ring and at the same time wanting to keep the fridge without rcd?

I`d firstly want to know if its TN or TT?

Then, depending on how long its been there - it should have either had RCD protection anyway, or there is a case to argue for installing it retrospectively, as a safety issue for a customer - especially in a kitchen.

But - if we are just talking about the spur from the grid, and its compliance with 7671 - it ought not to be an issue.

Tncs system my only concern is that this fridge spur isnt rcd protected they don't want it on the grid as I recommended and whether it was 7671 compliant if it is !! Then I'll just carry on

I think a better way to discuss is the fridge 2 gang socket dangerous in kitchen if there is no rcd protection it is a dedicated socket for the fridge I have located where the spur has been taken( under floorboards at the landing ) its just a case of finding downstairs ring and taking spur off that) but if previous work is 7671 complaint I'll just leave it!!!