Standard of existing installations and the "Visual inspection"

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never quite got this "Visual Inspection " thing TBH .

The only credance I can give it is taking a quick look at a wooden fuseboard with broken porcelain 3036 fuses and lots of rubber cable leaving it and pronouncing that the place could do with a rewire .

The number of times I,ve gone to do additional work and thought the original work looked OK albeit a 15th -16th Ed. job. The latest work ,on the whole, seems to be better . Then you start to lift floorboards or take a switch or socket off and all is not what it seems .

There nearly always seems to something not right either poor workmanship or a DIY effort . I,m doing a kitchen extension in my own road,all new wiring to the new bit. Original looks OK , builder rips the old ceiling down and we have 5 million JBs on the lighting ,with all the earths snipped off the T/E and the switch drops wired in red 6491X . No earth and metal switch plates everywhere.

You just never know whats there. I.ve found cables twisted together without even any tape on them..... sheathing peeled back and a tee joint taped on.... doorbell wire feeding a load of 12V downlights , so hot you couldn't touch it .

A classic which I put on here yonks ago was quoting a rewire , the parents of the Chairman of a main customer of mine.

At the side of the bath, mounted so that it could be reached from within the bath, was a socket wired in twin white 0.5mm flex, plugged in was a kettle and radio , the old guy says he likes to make a cuppa while hes in the bath and sometimes has a TV in there.

They didn't go with the rewire and all my advice on the plug was disregarded as its "Been like that for years , you electricians are too fussy"

I'm sure others have found similar horrors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a quote back in January and the house was a complete DIY lash up original rubber cable no CPC on lighting circuits brass switch plates, 4-way wylex unit hindenburg under a pile of crap in the loft fed from a 6mm twin this unit supplied two electric showers. Shower isolator was 45 amp dp switch on the side of cubicle.

Issued a danger notice and got the homeowner giving us verbal abuse down the phone ! You can give the advice but if they won't take it.

Job a few years ago consumer unit is located in living room and all the final circuit wiring runs down in the corner under some wooden boxing in, found all the old VIR cables from previous install had been joined to PVC for last meter or so to CU they did this by twisting and wrapping the joins in insulation tape.

Latest posts