Australian Electrics

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a friend once visited Oz, very briefly,

he took the joke a bit too far,,,,

when they asked him at customs if he had a criminal record he replied,

'I didnt think I still needed one'

he got refused entry,,,,,,,,

his wife was livid,

£2k wasted and he got put on the next flight back,  his wife had to pay to get her ticket changed.!!!!!!

my, how we laughed,

:slap

a friend once visited Oz, very briefly,

he took the joke a bit too far,,,,

when they asked him at customs if he had a criminal record he replied,

'I didnt think I still needed one'

he got refused entry,,,,,,,,

his wife was livid,

£2k wasted and he got put on the next flight back,  his wife had to pay to get her ticket changed.!!!!!!

my, how we laughed,

:slap
I had in the early days to fight like hell to get our NZ control panel builders to use bootlace ferrules......very reluctant. One oddity I still live with today is 10A NZ power sockets for powering our laptops, soldering irons etc inside the control panels. Very handy. Always get a kick "getting away with" using 230V on a UK site.

I must have close to being refused entry etc travelling in NZ a few times. Literally just after 9/11 they had drafted in extra security in the form of their military to man the airport desks. Everyone was on edge and I had some Rachael Hunter look a like in a uniform giving me grief over luggage weights telling me I was over the allowance etc. Properly going into one until I waived the Business Class ticket under her nose! SHE then started on about MY attitude! You also had to contend with having your shoes disinfected as they were worried about us bringing in foot and mouth.

On an internal flight I got pulled for having a Leatherman on my belt. Silly really, I'd had it on every day whilst working and just put it on without thinking. I got taken to one side. "Well you're wearing one!" probably wasn't the best thing to say to the bloke. Then coming back to the UK and my suitcase was rammed with Speights and DB bottles. The guy on the X-ray machine was sitting on his desk with his feet up. He perked up on seeing the bottles and went; "What's the brew mate?" I said "Speights". He said "Good on ya!" and the suitcases went through.

On check in at Brisbane for our return, we had the misfortune of having a trainee on the desk.

He insisted on weighing our hand luggage.   I've never had that happen before. I always worked on it just being a size limit for hand luggage.

But no, there is a weight limit, and one of our cases was 1Kg over. Thankfully the other was 1Kg under.

There then followed 5 minutes of opening cases, swapping heavy stuff from one to the oter, and then lighter stuff the other way to fill the space.

There, all sorted, hand luggage within limits.

But it was exactly the same 2 cases with exactly the same total weight, just they were now equal weight.  I'm sure that helped the aircraft get off the ground. NOT.

But one thing I DID learn, is a bag containing a laptop computer is exempt from the weight limit. go figure.