Starting Out

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is requirements for testing? 

Ive got 2395, but ive been told by my local building i need a scheme like NIC or napit

its all in 7671. NIC / council have nothing to do with it

for part p notifications, which are completely different from testing, then you will need to either be registered with a scam (there is more than just NIC), or notify each job to LABC

you seem to be jumping in a bit too early before doing your research on what is needed. you need to do a lot more research first

im also a bit like steps, good at what i do, but not so good at the business / management part

Last edited by a moderator:
To labour a point, will your employer allow you to run a part time business in the same sector? Will they tolerate you taking business calls in their time?

Find out before you find yourself with no steady income.

The company I worked for knew I ran two businesses. I wasn’t doing electrical work or manufacturing chemicals, it didn’t interfere with my work and so they let me carry on.

You on the other hand will be stepping on the company’s toes, it won’t be long before those toes (encased in a boot) engage with your backside.

Ive got 2395, but ive been told by my local building i need a scheme like NIC or napit
I think I see where you are going now Jake .   Sounds like you are doing more domestic , if its the case then I would say , as the others have ,  you need to join a Competent Persons Scheme.

NICEIC

NAPPIT

ELECSA

STROMA  ( Cheapest)

Others

To join any of them you will need to satisfy a list of obligations ,  I have scanned the ELECSA requirements for your information.

Scan0005.jpg

Jake, in the nicest possible way, you haven't got a clue.

Postpone any ideas for at least 2 years whilst you work out the answers to the questions you are asking. You aren't ready to strike out on your own, unless you want to be very skint and n the legal ****. This is not a comment about how good or not an electrician you are, it is about you will fail miserably. You are asking questions about really basic stuff, given that running your own business involves a lot more than basics, and a lot of legal ****e like tax, accounts, insurance etc etc, currently you are not ready. Work on it, and when you can answer the questions you are currently asking, you may stand a chance of being successful.

loads of other scam providers that are a lot cheaper,

first FAIL,

do some research, seems you really are not as knowledgeable as you may think

BTW,

am I good at my job and competent,  I think very much so,

am I a good businessman,  NO
This a very important point Stepps makes .    

We are NOT businessmen ,  we are tradesmen  who are self employed.  There is a difference .    I think , when looking at taking on a particular job , the first we are thinking about is " How am I going to do this ,  I need to work out the size of this sub- main ....are ten twin fittings enough to light this workshop properly  ..... I'll need help pulling that cable in  etc " 

A businessman is thinking  " How much can I make out of this job ?"  

I always remember sitting in a site meeting ,  architect refered to me and said  " You're a businessman ...how do you see it "?    Or similar .   I had to say No  I 'm not a businessman , I'm an electrician  first  ...  and secondly I'm trying to earn a living out of it. " 

as SE you are a 1 man business, but a business non the less. Business is not something I'm very good at either, it is a necessary evil as far as I'm concerned, but as young Jake doesn't evn sem to understand his own trade properly, like the legalities of part P, then it appears to me that unless he is still living at home with his parents, then he will fail to pay his rent or put food on the table. I'm not saying Jake shouldn't aspire to go SE, but I think he needs to do a lot more research first.

I have another business doing vehicle tracking units. I have an accountant, public liability. All I've asked if there theres another way to legally sign off work, because people are giving me a poor opinion of NIC, and my council are too slow to respond. I know how businesses in general work, just asking for anyones advice of experiences theyve had. 

This a very important point Stepps makes .    

We are NOT businessmen ,  we are tradesmen  who are self employed.  There is a difference .    I think , when looking at taking on a particular job , the first we are thinking about is " How am I going to do this ,  I need to work out the size of this sub- main ....are ten twin fittings enough to light this workshop properly  ..... I'll need help pulling that cable in  etc " 

A businessman is thinking  " How much can I make out of this job ?"  

I always remember sitting in a site meeting ,  architect refered to me and said  " You're a businessman ...how do you see it "?    Or similar .   I had to say No  I 'm not a businessman , I'm an electrician  first  ...  and secondly I'm trying to earn a living out of it. " 

hum... not sure I agree with this.

When you do a job for a client, do you :

1. do job as quickly as possible, get paid and go away

OR

2. do you think do job correctly, tidy up, get paid AND answer phone to client when they call you to ask you a question later?

Lots of trades people use 1 above as there approach then wonder why they aren't very busy.

Last year I had to use a plumber I didn't know, to fix a problem in our house. We were chatting when he was doing the work as he needed a hand - he said "he struggled to get repeat or referral business" - which I thought was very odd.

A week after the job was finished I wasn't happy about one aspect, so I email him - no answer, I called him & left a message - no answer, I emailed again - no answer - so I emailed a 3rd time - a couple of hours later his misses rang to arrange a visit....

she said  "Andy says we need to book in 90 minutes" -

I said "are you suggesting you want to charge me to return to a recent job to talk about an issue?" -

she says," yes that's the way it works"

My response - no it isnt.

No wonder he's struggling to get repeat and / or referral business!

what a muppet

Ok Jake, so that's a lot more info.

Scheme wise I use NICEIC as an Approved Contractor. The reason for this is that it opens up council contracts to me, commercial and industrial, not that you need a registration for anything other than domestic, but the insurance companies recognise this accreditation. They should recognise all schemes, but don't always. Most people are anti NiCEIC becuase they have become too commercial, and many have opted to go for ELECSA NAPIT etc etc, who are generally cheaper.

Ok Jake, so that's a lot more info.

Scheme wise I use NICEIC as an Approved Contractor. The reason for this is that it opens up council contracts to me, commercial and industrial, not that you need a registration for anything other than domestic, but the insurance companies recognise this accreditation. They should recognise all schemes, but don't always. Most people are anti NiCEIC becuase they have become too commercial, and many have opted to go for ELECSA NAPIT etc etc, who are generally cheaper.

Who are in the same organisation as the NICEIC

Stroma us currently the cheapest @ £288 inc VAT

You may have PL for vehicle tracking units, you need to add electrical installation to it. PL covers you for specific areas.

Depending on the area you go in to PI (professional indemnity) may be required. I can tell you from personal experience it isn’t cheap and requires qualifications.