Static Caravan Electrical Safety Certificate.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From an electrical point of view, people, [site owners] can try to be as clever as they like. From memory, the regs do not refer specifically to caravans, but rather; "caravans and similar structures" In other words, metal framed and off the ground....

Now.... Why you think this is..... What type of earthing system do you think they had in mind when they wrote this???

When a judge is asked to interpret laws, one of the things he looks at, is, the "disease that inflicteth the commonwealth" that he understands parliament was intending to legislate against, or for, [omissions etc] when they passed it. So you can be as clever as you like, if you try to subvert the will of parliament you will be in big ****...

If you think a judge or coroner might think a structure resembles a caravan, treat it as such.... [Better safe then sorry]

john..

If you think a judge or coroner might think a structure resembles a caravan, treat it as such.... [Better safe then sorry]

john..
Is that aimed at me?

How would YOU interpret what looks exactly like a timber framed and timber clad bungalow except it's not actually bolted down to the concrete base it stands on, and can be lifted in sections with a crane. So legally as far as building control is concerned it's a "caravan".  Would you insist on applying the caravan rules as far as electrics go, even though it has no steel chassis, it has no metal cladding and it sits on, rather than above the foundations?

Hi Prodave,

Oh god no!!!!!!! Certainly not, sorry if you thought it was....

As i said, the rules so far as i remember refer to "caravan type structures" or words to that effect. You know, metal frames and aluminium cladding like you said.

The sort of thing you are on about is completely different, just a "transportable" building which is why i suppose the planning people class them as temporary [or caravan like as dull planning officers might call them]

There was a spate of people putting up wooden things round here a few years ago. The planning people soon stopped that by taking the view that; "Hmm, you have made it all out of tanalised wood that is claimed to last 25 years, that is certainly not temporary.."

In planning terms, what is mean by "temporary" is more like the sort of thing that might be on a building site for the duration of building works..

Sorry if you thought i was having a dig!!! I would never do that..

john..

Caravans and Mobile Homes are both defined in Part-2 'Definitions' of BS7671. To elaborate a bit more on what Steptoe says; the 'designed to be towed' bit is actually written as "designed to meet the requirements for construction and use of road vehicles".  Which basically means it has a full set of working lights which can connected onto the towing vehicle. So a caravan will have tail lights, break lights, fog lamp, indicators, provision for a number plate light, but not necessarily a number plate itself. If it does not meet the construction standards for being towed on the public highway, it is not a caravan, (to the BS7671 definition), irrespective of if it has wheels or not, or if its stood on jacks, or blocks.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back to the EICR aspect, if it is a 'caravan' then the wiring should be flexible not solid core cables, to meet 721.521. Aren't static caravans typically wired with standard flat T&E?

Doc H.

Yes Static 'vans are wired in t&e usually, they don't have road lights and don't have braked axles, and only tiny little wheels. They can't legally be towed on a road and the wheels are only to enable them to be moved on and off the site and up the ramps onto a flat bed lorry.

Here's mine arriving

caravan_3.jpg

Ant towed into position with my Landrover

LR_towing.jpg

Mine is supplied with SWA straight into the CU, but a lot of sites connect them with a flex to a commando socket more like touring van's

Last edited by a moderator: