Storage heater problems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post. Also consider that there is the Economy 10 which runs at 3 different times of the day, found that one out the hard way! Click here for more info.

Hi Batty,

the element is designed to dissipate its power over its length. so.....

if it was 1200W and 12 inches long that would be 100W/ inch

if the manufacturer bunches the coils in one bit and stretches them in another, you still get your 1200W but not even. you end up with hotspots. Then as the element coil melts together the current rises and spreads through out the whole element, before it finally pops.... :eek:

Hi Sitting in New Zealand and trying to sort out what seems to be an ancient model of nightstore heater. It is a GEC Nightstor - without any further technical data lable.

It is connected to a room thermostat, which switches it off and on. But if the set room temperature can not be reached the heater seems to keep going and ends up (several times) melting the 144 degree temperatur fuse.

1. What are potential causes for it? And how is it supposed to be avoided?

2. Is there supposed to be an internal thermostat, which could be faulty? (couldn't find one though)

Getting cold and would love to hear some advice.

Thanks

Chelsea
Well this is interesting, I service storage heaters for 98% East Sussex County Council properties, yes boring job but pays my wage for the company I'm with.

Answer to Chelsea, This does depend on how your storage heater works, is it Element only? Fan assisted? or Convector & Elements majority of the time your room stat controls the fan/Boost thus switching off when temperture reached, can assume room taking time to heat up and click stat off, potential cause could be faulty room stat being temperamental or room stat being to far not picking up good amount or heat from unit, another suggestion could be input stat to storage heater inself not clicking out at required cut off point but if this is the case your room stat should back that up shutting off heater but that could possibly only be controlling the fan not the heat itself, you need to distinguish what is contollering the Heat input first.

TRY THIS it might help finding out

As many say it, is sometimes cost effective to replace over repair depending on the over all condition of the heater shell, components etc, I tend to repair unless I absolutely have to replace commercially.

I use Capri Electrical Developments Ltd. for reference to many Storage Heaters, wap friendly for those using mobiles on site, have ordered many spare parts for heaters 15+ years old, I don't normally advertise companies on forums however they are highly useful, have downloadable/printable reference page to thermal links on replacements and breakdowns on most models, worth a look.

If I can help in anyway I will try my very best, please feel free to send me a PM

Another problem I have just come across:

Unidare (Dimplex) SH tripping its resettable overheat protector every night. Phoned Capri and was advised that Dimplex have had a lot of problems with this type of cutout. There is a kit which replaces the limit stat and cutout with a new type. Apparently Dimplex have replaced loads of these within warranty and of course clients are having to replace them out of warranty too.

The kit is about

Dimplex Cutout Before 2.jpg

Dimplex Cutout After 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.