Storage heaters

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couleddie

Reaction score
Just been to see a customer who owns a hairdressers with flat above. At the moment the whole premises are fed from the meter in the shop (installtion looks as if it was done by Stevie Wonder). Old Wylex board feeds most of shop. Meter tails are split and one feed goes to a 45A fuse that runs in 10mm tails to the upstairs flat. This was rewired in 2008 with ring, lights, shower and cooker circuits run via a 16th edition board from these 10mm tails and 45A fuse.

Tenant ran up bill of

Meter change costs seem to depend upon who you speak to on the day of ordering, not much help there but if you want to push it they do sometimes do it for free.

As for the storage heaters a few of my customers are moving away from these and I'm fitting the european electric heaters, cant remember the name but they advertise them in PE I think and could find out and post on here if you want. So far heating is more controlable and comfortable and bills are a little bit less, similar costs to new ns but less hassle to install.

Meter change costs seem to depend upon who you speak to on the day of ordering, not much help there but if you want to push it they do sometimes do it for free.As for the storage heaters a few of my customers are moving away from these and I'm fitting the european electric heaters, cant remember the name but they advertise them in PE I think and could find out and post on here if you want. So far heating is more controlable and comfortable and bills are a little bit less, similar costs to new ns but less hassle to install.
Yes, if you have any info please post it. Be very interested in that.

Try here

http://www.jcelectrics.com/shopp/Heating/Storage%20Heaters%20cat.htm

(I cant do the link thing) to get a price for the heaters, your wholesaler wont be far off the web price. Plan on running T&E in plastic trunking so that no RCD is required. Like you said 2 radials, and I'd fit DP switches next to the heaters. Dont forget the timeswitches to control them unless your going to run a seperate board on its own timeswitch

Meter change costs seem to depend upon who you speak to on the day of ordering, not much help there but if you want to push it they do sometimes do it for free.As for the storage heaters a few of my customers are moving away from these and I'm fitting the european electric heaters, cant remember the name but they advertise them in PE I think and could find out and post on here if you want. So far heating is more controlable and comfortable and bills are a little bit less, similar costs to new ns but less hassle to install.
I'd be interested in a link for those heaters please.

so, these types of heater...

Do you continue to get heat from them even when they're switched off?

Hi sorry for delay been busy and then couldnt find the thread.

www.economy-radiator.com

The link is for the rep I think. I will try to contact my customerr over the weekend to find the maufacturers name.

i've been dealing with storage heaters for years now working for my local council and i would never have them, what seems a much better idea if you have to have electric heating is an electric central heating system, my parents have one in the flat they have just bought and it runs off of an econ10 system with an immersion heater for the hot water and the flat never gets cold and they are using about

i've been dealing with storage heaters for years now working for my local council and i would never have them, what seems a much better idea if you have to have electric heating is an electric central heating system, my parents have one in the flat they have just bought and it runs off of an econ10 system with an immersion heater for the hot water and the flat never gets cold and they are using about

We fitted 13 of THESE at the begining of the year, they are really good, runs of Economy 18, all you do is give it a 6mm supply, get plumber to do his bit and there you go, after sales are good too.

Last edited by a moderator:
so do you just put that in and run rads off of it? from a quick look it seems to have everything else needed with it. does look good.

one thing i noticed at my parents flat is they only have a 4 wire meter so the whole property is on econ10 :D

I've told dad to try and do his cooking and washing during the off peak hour to maximise it.

Yes, if you have any info please post it. Be very interested in that.
Hi once again sorry for delay the heaters are made by www.haverland.com. As I said the 3 customers who I know have them are very pleased. The one I dont know who reccomended them has 27! She apparently is more than happy to have got rid of her night stores.

so do you just put that in and run rads off of it? from a quick look it seems to have everything else needed with it. does look good.
They are good, just don't run underfloor heating off them! Very bit electric bills!

Easy to install, plonk it in a cupboard, connect supply, connect room stat if needed, get plumber to connect cold feed, hot water feed, flow & return to rads, job done!

You should be able to run it off an economy 10 supply, you just need to make sure the boiler times are the same as the economy 10 supply.