Storage Radiator Not Working.....any Help Much Appreciated.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitony

Reaction score
Hiya All, well here is my problem, I live in a flat, its only 8 years old so all the fittings etc are new (ish) I have 2 x dimplex storage radiators, one in the hall and one in the front room, also the water is heated via the economy 7.

The heater in the lounge is fine as is the water, both fire up every night when the economy 7 kicks in, however the hall heater does not! now I can turn the hall heater on via the 24/7 switch which is next to the economy 7 switch on the wall, but it just wont fire up via the economy 7 system.

I have replaced the 20amp wall switch so it cant be that, I did yesterday by an electrical screwdriver to test I power is going to the wall switch, but sadly I overslept and missed the opportunity!! so will have to wait till tonight.

So assuming power is going to the economy 7 switch on the wall is there anything else I can check?

I have looked at the consumer unit and all the switches are in the on position, the writing on this is not that good but it does appear as if everything's ok as far as that goes.

I really am at a loss here so any help would be very much appreciated, due to my present situation I cant really afford to get an electrician in (though I appreciate it might come down to this) and obviously it is starting to get very cold now, and clearly I would much rather use the economy 7 side as opposed to the 24/7 side as its much cheaper.

I am very much a novice as far as electrics are concerned.

Thanks in advance for any help given :)

Cheers

Tony

There is a thermal cut-out inside the heater, check if it has opened.

they are usually on the top next to the controls. if you still cant see it, follow the incoming live to the first device it goes through
Thanks Andy I will remove the cover and have a look (not that I am to sure what I am looking at if I find it lol) but I am still a bit confused as I would have thought that if any "Cut Out" has activated, how come when I turn on the 24/7 switch on the wall, the SR works??

Thanks for all your help, really is appreciated.

Tony

The dou heaters are a storage heater and a convector heater in one box.

The thermal trip being talked about is for the overnight storage heater bit. If that has tripped the storage heater part won't work.

But the other bit, the convector heater is completely separate so that will still work as normal.

Have you placed anything on top of it, even for a short time, like a coat or washing, this will cause the high limit switch to open.

On a complex we maintain, this time of year we get the new tenants having this issue, the house mangers tell them and it's in the manual but they still do it.

Thanks Pro Dave that does answer my concerns about if it would still work, and having just asked the wife if she has ever placed anything on it, she confirms she has!!!! so thanks Steve..... now if I locate the cut out what can I do to rectify it? as it really does sound like this is the reason why its not working...

Thanks so much guys

Tony

Look on Youtube or Google for Dimplex high temperature reset
Thanks again Steve, I have done that but in all honesty cant find anything that's obvious, I have taken the front cover off the SR and again cant see anything that I can confidently say is the cut out?? any ideas please??

I feel so close but so far! lol

Thanks Guys

Tony

not sure about that specific heater, but its either a re-settable type (press a button / click it back together), or a non-resettable type which would need the link replaced

Hiya Steve, I cant open the bottom link it says I do not have permission to do that? maybe its cos im new to the forum? I have looked at the e bay link from Daves older post and to be honest im really not sur, it does look a bit like a part in my SR, where exactly would this be located? in the front removable panel or on the top section or bottom section of the main body of the fire?

I am now convinced this is whats wrong (the cut out I mean)

Really is frustrating!! lol oh and I am making the wife suffer for being so stupid!!! lol

Thanks

Tony

Sorry I cant post any pics .......Grrr getting annoyed now!!

But thanks for all your help I really do appreciate the time you have all taken :)

yes, post a pic and someone will say where it is
Is there any format for posting pics on here, ones I have taken with my mobile phone and just downloaded onto my laptop? everytime I try to post a pic the box asks me for an URL there is no URL for my home pics??

I click on the image box and it asks me for an URL?? I have 10 posts now :)