Strange Metering Problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manator

©Honorary Essex Boy™
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I installed a sub main and new board in an industrial unit, this was to be sub let by the landlord.

Today I received a call asking if I could go and have a look as the meter was not recording properly and it showed a fault " Low Line Voltage". When I arrived the meter just showed a load of X's across the top line and equal amount of squares or 0's along the second line. I have tested the 100/5 CT's and they are working properly, the fuses are fine and all connections OK.

Has anyone seen this problem before? I am totally confused. I just said that thee meter must be faulty, but as I fit the CT's they think its down to something I have done.

Yes I did a full diagnostic range of tests, all as expected and nothing unusual.

All the CT's are fine, the meter was working as far as I know up to this last week when the low line voltage was seen as an error. It is now showing no error other than the screen just shows xxxxxxxxxxx

Not seen it before.

So the meter worked fine until this morning.

It’s Sunday, who checks the meter on a Sunday? The landlord.

Who reported the fault? The landlord.

Twiddling fingers on an interactive meter = bo**oxs output. Reset to factory default and start again.

@Tony S I got the call on Friday and was out with family on Saturday so could only get there on Sunday.

The landlord is blaming me for not connecting the CT's properly though they worked before.

He called me today, the Landlord saying he was getting another electrician out today. If he found any faults he would pass the cost onto me.

I told him to do his best and goodbye.

Its the meter, and I told him. I would love to find out what happened, but I doubt he will call me again.