Strange Readings

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNO are very good round here, always turn up the same day.  Have had nothing but good service from them.  So they're not all bad.

So this is a TNS system with an external earth of 2990 ohms is that correct? If its a supplied TNS earth DNO have a duty to maintain it. The first thing you need to do is get the earth right before you can do anything.

thank you for all of your advice. i will be popping back over to the installation and will let you know the outcome of the earthing and voltage issues.

a few volts on the earth isn't unusual down to voltage induction from other cables, but your Ze is defo worrying, and I think i would have to concurr a bad neutral supply. I had this a while ago, confused the crap out of me at first :^O

just heard from the DNO and they have found a loose earthing clamp that i did not have access too... still detecting voltage in the neutral to earth. going bk next week to fully test everything and i believe it could be an appliance leakig voltage. now with a good earth it should help me to narrow down the fault. the DNO want to sweat a new earth onto the supply for a cost of £80.00.

just heard from the DNO and they have found a loose earthing clamp that i did not have access too... still detecting voltage in the neutral to earth. going bk next week to fully test everything and i believe it could be an appliance leakig voltage. now with a good earth it should help me to narrow down the fault. the DNO want to sweat a new earth onto the supply for a cost of £80.00.
It's THEIR earth. Why are they charging the customer to fix their own property?

they are saying because it is a TNS supply, a previous electrician has installed a BS951 rad clamp (temby clamp) they will not except responsibility for the earth...

they want to install a spring mounted clamp so it can not damage the supply lead cable....

they are also refusing to tighten the clamp up... so there is not secure earth at the moment either... only the gas bonding earth...

they are saying because it is a TNS supply, a previous electrician has installed a BS951 rad clamp (temby clamp) they will not except responsibility for the earth...

they want to install a spring mounted clamp so it can not damage the supply lead cable....they are also refusing to tighten the clamp up... so there is not secure earth at the moment either... only the gas bonding earth...
Well that's a pretty standard reply and I've had it a couple of times myself,, they now recon that all BS951 clamps have been fitted without their permission...

and TBH I don't blame them for not tightening the 951clamp as their pants could very easily turn "50 shades of brown"

thanks for the link, i am going bk on saturday morning. will see if i can get hold of some before hand... just need to work out what size i need...

do u now roughly how much they cost as i would also need to get the fitting tool as well....

thanks for the link, i am going bk on saturday morning. will see if i can get hold of some before hand... just need to work out what size i need...
Matt, its not your cable to be messing about with... even to connect an earth to

In this instance you should do a temporary TT until the DNO earth has been repaired,, or just leave it as TT (just for Steps) ;)

yea, bang a rod in, it'll be right. :D

seriously though, if you are that worried/concerned then best to simply TT it and know it is right, and no further worries.

sorted the earthing out this morning and everything is all ok, no more voltage in the neutral when testing E-N. :)