Stray Voltage On The Cpc.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two posts have been removed and members given infractions and warned.

Please be polite and do not bypass the swear filter when using the forum.

If this thread continues to go the way of the removed posts then it will be locked and more infractions will be given.

Admin,

I did not bypass a swear filter, please do not tar me with the same brush as that person.

In the first post I asked if 80 volts could be generated by self induction?

Does this make me any less competent than the people who have replied to the post without offering an answer.

For those that have offered an answer please exclude yourselves from my frustration.

Safedepth: your infraction should have given you the reason.

The polite part was you and the swearing was Steptoe just to correct my misleading post.

Safe,

You have also been asked a few questions to further identify the possible source of the voltage, and some explanations given, but you have not answered the questions posted.

Safe,

You have also been asked a few questions to further identify the possible source of the voltage, and some explanations given, but you have not answered the questions posted.
Sorry Sidey, I have just re read the threads and can't see what questions have gone unanswered. Could you clarify please?

From my perspective I thought I had offered all the details of the situation very early on.

I found 80 v between a cpc and the earth conductor. From that I asked could such a high voltage be self induced. The nearest thing to an answer was that mft's don't give accurate readings in this situation.

What more answers do you require?

OK without a measurement of the "potential current" in the "cpc" then the voltage is irrelevant TBH.

The meter used is not suitable for taking measurements where there could be induced voltage.

As I have stated, neither is ANY other high impedance input volt meter of any type, as there is no burden current.

You need to do more testing to ascertain where the voltage originated with suitable equipment TBH.

Including current checks.

If you're testing stray voltages on a floating CPC you'll get significantly different readings depending what digital voltage tester you use. Thing is that all the readings will be irrelevant and certainly not worth spending time trying to localise the 'problem. If you use an analogue tester you'll get a more meaningful result because it will present a low enough resistance to the circuit on test to sink any stray voltages that aren't a problem.