Street Furniture- Lighting Columns. Rcd Protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adammid

Reaction score
Do lighting columns installed in a car park between parking bays which have no protection around them such as bollards require RCD protection?

IIRC Street Furniture has a section in BS7671 special locations.

Have a look in there first In the green book (amended version).

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks.

I have had a look and there is nothing that appears to stipulate RCD protection for lighting columns. It does say for lighting inside telephone kiosk and bus shelters but not lighting columns.

When I worked for Liverpool Council all street furniture was connected to the local DNO cables as an unmetered supply

When I worked for Liverpool Council all street furniture was connected to the local DNO cables as an unmetered supply
in this area, i think each column has its oqn DNO supply (all columsn in tyneside were replaced a few years ago)

other councils have a DNO supply at a light, then their own wiring to the next few lights

They call them link pillars Andy.

It also depends on whether the cable is Al/Al or Cu/SWA!

Al/Al is rubbish, especially if not installed correctly, loads around here & I have worked on some that has gone from public to private "ownership"!

No RCD required if the disconnection times can be met only times ive installed RCD protection on the highways is for the supply to the commando sockets fixed to lamp columns to supply the festive lighting.

Most councils now specify 3-core SWA cable for there private supply networks so you get the solid earth core in addition to the steel wire armour, the problems start when the outer sheathing gets nicked on the cable and the armour starts to corrode especialy when its only 2 core cable and the armour is the sole cpc.

Your very welcome ive done the highways for over ten years now ive worked for several local authoritys and contractors. When it comes to highway lighting power suppies ive fitted nearly all the different makes of cutout/isolator units Lucy,Tofco, Charles en direct and the TSS ones you dont see any more.

I will help anybody out if i can